Chapter Two

As the beach came into sight I slowed to a walk. I walked down the short path to the beach. It was almost empty of life; four boys playing beach cricket with two girls in bikini's watching and cheering were on from the side were down one side of the beach while a woman cautiously watching three children play in the shallow water were at the other. When I reached the sand I took off my shoes, letting my feet touch the warm sand. I chose a spot near the top of the beach, that way the water couldn't reach me unless the tide came in. The water seemed unnaturally slow, even the small waves which rolled onto the sand seemed graceful.

It wasn't long until I found myself laying down soaking the vitamin D into my pale skin – it was something I had unfortunately inherited from my mother – I flipped my sunglasses down and soon found it difficult to keep my eyes open.

The soft swoosh of the waves hitting the sand now sounded like a strangely familiar lullaby and the grasses growing on the outline of the beach gave off a sweet sent. I was soon drifting into a light sleep.

     “HEADS UP!” yelled an unknown male voice. I sat up straight and turned towards the voice, my heart racing. Something hard hit my head with a lot of force. I gasped in pain as I placed my hand on my head.

     “Shit...” chucked another voice. I looked up to see everyone from the cricket game coming over, even the girls in bikinis.

     “Oh god. Are you okay? We did yell out,” apologized one boy sweetly, he was slightly smaller and more baby faced than the others with golden blonde curls. I nodded slowly. Naturally I’d been here for no more than an hour and I had found a way to embarrass myself. Lovely.

One boy grabbed the cricket ball and threw it back to his friends, he smiled at me awkwardly. He then knelt next to me. He was tanned and shirtless, showing off his obviously worked on abs, with his swimming trunks sitting slightly lower than necessary. Not that I was complaining. He had that sun bleached hair ‘Aussie surfer’ look, and I liked it.

     “Are you alright?” he asked cautiously, tilting his head slightly to one side. I brushed my hair away from my face with my hand.

I flip up my sun glasses sitting them on my head. "Its fine" I beam a smile up at him, touching my head where I had been hit and he smiles back, a look of relief.

     “See she’s fine, let’s get back to the game.” Says the blonde bikini girl, touching the shirtless wonders arms. Shooting me a death stare, apparently she didn’t know how to or want to share.

     “Aren’t you a little over dressed for the beach?” asked the baby faced boy, for some reason he reminded me of my old neighbour’s dog; a golden retriever. I looked down at my clothes; purple silk blouse, dark blue skinny jeans and black toeless ballet flats. Not one piece of clothing was mine, all my friends as she had chosen what I’d worn last night and I hadn’t changed.

     “I guess I am.” I blushed, making the blonde boy smile at me again.

     “I’m Blaine, by the way” the blonde boy tells me with a flirty grin, making the blonde girl look like a bull ready to charge. That was when my phone went off, a text from mum – come on home, darling.

     “Uh it’s nice to meet you,” I tell him truthfully “but I’ve got to go,” My voice making my displeasure clear as I brush the sand from my clothes before starting my way back up the sand path towards my house. Forgetting something? The little voice inside my head asks. I turn around and smile.

     “Oh yeah, my names April” I call out to Blaine. He smiles a cheekily, sending a wink my way. I turn around and head for home.

I’d have to leave myself a mental note – put Blaine on my Christmas list.

The front was unlocked, so I walked right in. I was welcomed by the smell of fresh flowers and a familiar sitting room; it wasn’t a large room but it lead to the lounge and the hallway, besides the coffee table with flower on top and my father’s old rocking chair the room was empty. Seeing inside the house again made me realise how much I’d missed it, I was glad my mother had decided not to sell. And also because it meant that we only had to unpack clothes and a small amount of other things.

I ran up the stairs and to the door of the room that was once my parents. I found my mother there, decorating the room in a delicate pinks and cream. I waved to her as I made my way to the room that once was and was again mine. I opened the window and sat on my bed (thankfully my mother had gotten my single bed replaced with a queen sized bed) I looked around the room, my room. On my bed side table was a red photo frame, shells glued around the frame. It held a photo of a little orange haired girl with sitting on the beach, making a sand castle with a man who smiled at her brightly. I didn’t look at it for long enough to try to recognise the people, I didn’t want to.

     “So looking forwards to school tomorrow? Oh! What are you going to wear?” my mother asked excitedly from the door way. Making me jump with shock. Why was she always so vibrant and energetic? She really should have been a cheerleader.

     “Wait a minute, did you just say school? You’re kidding right?” suddenly feeling worried about my mental wellbeing.

     “Yes, school. Tomorrow.” She told me happily, “I’m even going to drop you off.” She almost sounded smug. Honestly who would send their one and only beloved child to school the day after moving to a new place... or back to an old place. My brain began to hit drama mode. Then it hit me, I might see Blaine. I’d take the chance.

     “Okay, school. I guess that could be fun.” I sigh.

     “So you met a boy down the beach?” my mother asked me, with a cheeky grin.

     “Shouldn’t you be starting tea, mother?” I ask her, changing the subject. She leaves the room; a triumphant smile on her lips; mother knows all.

School... Maybe I could drown in the ocean instead.