Secrets

Combined with the lack of eventfulness in this chapter and the fact that I haven't had much chance to write, this chapter is quite short. But it's quite full of foreshadowing. I won't have time to write much tomorrow either and I won't be able to post on Thursday full stop, so I'll try and make Friday's extra long (that chapter will be easy enough to stretch without being tedious, so it works out well. Thank you again for reading! (Also, can you tell I had nothing else to put as the chapter cover?)

I'm lying on my bed, deep in thought. My mind is running around in circles like a dog chasing its tail - it feels so futile and yet I can't stop. My thoughts are centred around two people in particular - Taylor Stone and Angel Reeds.

I started paying extra attention to Taylor when he was picked up from Mel's. After our initial panic about the test we gradually became more relaxed. At the point where things got odd Angel was telling us a story about something Lilia did once.

"And when she got out of the car-" she was saying, but before you could continue May slowly opened the door. She looked unnerved and troubled and her gaze fell on Taylor.

"Um, I'm sorry to interrupt, but Taylor, someone's here to take you home. He seems..." May bit her lip. "He looks like it's urgent."

Taylor turned deathly pale, and his hands started shaking. May and Mel shared a glance and when May left the room Mel turned to Taylor.

"Um, Tay? You okay?"

He jumps and turns to Mel, smiling a bit at her. Angel and I look at each other before looking back at them. "I-it's fine. It'll be my brother, Thomas. He's got a... hot temper."

He stands up and leaves. "It was... nice. I hope we can do it again."

Taylor leaves and we all glance at each other for a second before Mel stands up with a sigh. "I'm going downstairs to see what's going on."

She left the room silently and Angel and I turned back to each other. "He shouldn't be angry. Hell, this is early. He's been here for what, less than an hour?" Angel said, eyebrows furrowed. I nodded, but stayed quiet, still thinking.

Mel came in five minutes later, worry and anger written on her face like graffiti.

"What is it?" Angel asked instantly, and I looked at her curiously. I've never seen Mel this angry, not even when those thugs attacked me and her when we were looking for my watch.

Mel sits back on her bed and looks at us. "It was definitely Tay's brother - Tay called him Thomas and he looks exactly him, only Thomas is taller and meaner looking. And he has a bigger beard."

"That's saying something," Angel and I murmur and Mel sighs.

"That's not the point. Even I could tell his brother was a horrible person. The way he glared at Tay..." Mel shuddered. "I don't wanna think about it."

As if I wasn't thinking about enough, as soon as I got home I got a text from Jake.

Jake: hey, does angel have a sister?

Needless to say, I was confused.

Bobby: If she does I don't know about it. What's with the sudden interest?

Jake: something lilia said. i was mentioning how you were the genius of the family and i was the more sporty one, and she just had this really sad smile on her face and murmured under her breath (i barely heard) "just like angel and hope"

Jake: i asked who hope was and she just started stammering before saying that she was angel's old friend. but why would she mention her in a conversation about family?

Bobby: Well, she does know Angel's friends. She knows me and Mel, definitely.

Despite my nonchalant text thoughts began to swirl in my mind. The most prominent image was the picture in Lilia's house - the one with two Angel's, and how nervous Angel got when it came to discussing it. It was for that reason I didn't tell him, although my fingers itches to type out the words. Besides, he lives at Lilia's house, he'll notice that picture soon.

Jake: maybe, but it still seems weird. anyway, i should let you sleep. night.

I returned the sentiment, but instead of sleeping I'm still lying awake in my bed, thinking.

I know now about Mel's home life, and they, along with Taylor, know a few details about mine, like how overworking my parents and Alexander are and how horrible they can be. (Only Angel and Mel know how they disowned Jake, though, and only Angel knows why.) But only Angel knows about her home life, and only Taylor knows about his (although with a brother like that it can't be particularly great). I bite my lip, deep in thought. What could be their stories, and why could they be so shy about it?

Time to start an investigation.

this is the shortest chapter I've ever written and i'm only posting it now i'm so sorry