9. Ashes to Ashes

"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever."

Heloise eyes ran over with tears and a scorching pain ran from her throat into her nostrils. She turned and went inside as Astrid lead the congregation in singing "Amazing Grace"

Inside she sat in the foremost pew, downstairs staring up at the platform. The words of the songs reached her from the cemetery. Her grandfather was well respected in this town and would be missed but what pained her most was why he had died. His heart had broken seeing his beloved home burning. The home he and his wife had raised their son in. His inheritance. She ran her fingers over the faded words of the white Bible. Alifair had thought they should burry it with them but Heloise had objected and was glad that Miriam agreed. This Bible was the last they had of their inheritance. She hadn't been back by the house and no one had brought it up. It would only be ashes now.

She turned around when she heard the tapping of heals down the aisle and saw Mrs. Calico coming toward her. The woman sat down next to her on the bench and raised her black veil. Heloise smeared the tears from her eyes and the ones that had dropped onto the Bible.

"You grandfather was a good man," Mrs. Calico said though Heloise didn't need to be told. "Once when I was very small I fell and scrapped me knee. None of the children wanted to play with me. They thought I was weak and silly. But your grandfather picked me up and carried me around on his shoulder calling me a princess." She smiled. "I remember my blonde hair just a flowing!" She looked down at Heloise and her smile faded.

"It's not that much cooler down here than up in the balcony," Heloise said. "I used to want to sit down here during Sunday service. Now I don't care to ever see this church or this whole town ever again." She made a fist and sniffled.

"Oh, Heloise, I'm so sorry," Mrs. Calico said. "So very sorry. I...I wish there was something I could do."

Heloise shook her head. "Miriam says we're leaving. It's funny, if she had told me that a few days ago I would have refused; now I can't wait to get away. There is nothing left for us in this town."

"Heloise..."

"Seeing that house burn...it broke his heart...it killed him. And I want to get out of here before it kills me too. She bowed her head in tears and Mrs. Calico put her arms around her.

"Well, there ain't much I can do to stop you," she said. "Perhaps Miriam knows best. Oh and my husband found out a little about your parents. I think he's told Miriam..." She looked into the girls face. "Here," she suddenly said and opened her purse. "I know I couldn't do this if your father were here and my husband would be upset but...oh nevermind him." She pressed money into Heloise's hand. "I don't want to hear any objections. That there is for you. I'm sure Miriam and your other sisters have something tucked away but that there is for you in case of an emergency."

Heloise looked down at the money. There had to be near ten dollars there. "Mrs. Calico—"

"Na uh." Mrs. Calico held up her hand. "What did I say, Heloise? Now you mind your elders and tuck that away where no one can see it."