chapter twenty-one: [gone swimming]

Start from the beginning

I quickly looked back at the guy, worried. But the creature came out from behind the jeep, yellow eyes, scales for skin, a tail that whipped around. It titled it's head at me, crawling closer.

   "Indigo!" I heard Stiles scream again. The guy under the jeep was yelling for help, and the creature crawled closer. Quicker this time, it jumped toward me, making me lose balance and land on the floor. I backed up, before my back hit the wall.

   It crawled closer, it's claws ticking against the concrete floor. A whimper escaped me as it's face inched closer to mine, it's quiet hisses now audible.

  "Hey, lizard!"

Both of our heads looked over, seeing Stiles hitting his immobile arm on the floor, catching the creatures attention.

   "Over here!" He yelled.

The creature was distracted, looking at Stiles, so I swung my arm, smashing my fist to the slid of its skull. A loud screech came from the creature as it wobbled over, but it spun around just as quick, dragging it's claws right over my arm. I screamed at the feeling. It hurt so much. I looked to see, seeing blood was already oozing out.

   "Indigo! No!" Stiles yelled angrily. His phone lit up from the dial screen.

    "911, what's you emergency?"

˛

I sat in the back of the ambulance for the second time. Stiles was next to me, his dad leaning against the doors.

   "I told you." Stiles huffed. "We just walked in and saw the jeep on top of the guy, that's all."

  Sheriff nodded, before his eyes caught something, cinching his eyebrows. "What's wrong with your hand?"

We all looked to see it was still shaking. Probably from whatever that lizard thing had. Both of my hands grabbed his, easing them. Stiles' hand held mine as he shook his head.

   "Nothing. Can we just get out of here now?"

"Look, if there's something you don't think you can tell me-" His dad started, but Stiles quickly cut him off.

     "You think I'm lying?"

"No, of course not." Sheriff shook his head. "I'm just worried about you. The both of you. Now if you saw something do this- if you're afraid that maybe they'll come back and make sure you don't say anything it-"

     "We didn't see anything. At all." Stiles confirmed again. "Now can we go home? Please?"

  Sheriff sighed, but gave in. "Sure. But- not in your jeep."

Stiles looked up to him, eyes wide, but his dad shrugged.

     "Gonna have to impound it. Sorry, kid. Evidence. See you at home."

Stiles huffed as his dad began to walk away. "At least make sure they wash it?"