CHAPTER THREE.

This was the hardest part of the plan, burning the hours of the night by tossing and turning and waiting. So many things that could go wrong. So many things that could fall out of place. I resisted the urge to go out and follow the raven haired crow into the woodland so I wouldn't have to lay here, twitching at any sound I hear and wishing for time to go faster. Stupid I know, the Gods aren't real and even if they were I'd shit on them before I fucking worshipped them.

And then there was a change. The air became colder and nipped against my exposed face, the wind picked up, shook my hut and howled against the trees. The Other ones were here. And suddenly I felt dread, every sound became louder and rang in my ears. I looked for my dagger and picked it up, holding it tightly and walking towards the opening of my hut. I breathed in once and stepped out and saw nothing, the darkness is the cover that They need. I let out my breath and gripped my dagger even tighter as I took another step out. I shivered and scanned around again. And then almost as if she sensed my fear, a huge, black wolf with red eyes stepped out from the foliage to stand beside me, rising high on her haunches and baring her teeth. I'd seen Craster offer tens of the boys to the Others but this time felt different. It was too cold and too quiet to be normal. It got colder and colder and the ice on the bare trees crackled. My other hand dug into my wolfs fur. Then almost as quickly, the wind died down, the temperature rose and everything seemed well again. They must have took the boy and went. I sighed, relieved and my wolf seemed to mimic me, letting out a small yelp and trotting away.

I went back inside my hut, and sat with my head in my hands and my heart pounding against my chest. Fuck me. If I have to protect those ungrateful cunts one more time I think I might offer myself to the Others.

"Azure, there's something you should know about Rowe, the one who went through your bag." She gulps, looking around before stepping in.

"Go on." I encourage, waving at her to sit.

"I think she means to tell Craster about what she saw. She's told a few others and if Craster finds out you're leaving..."

I clenched my jaw, I'd forgot all about Rowe and her big mouth. I should of skinned her the second I found out she's been snooping where she shouldn't have been. "I'll take care of it." I tell her, before wondering how soon I could leave this place with enough food and gather my wolves to head south. But when I look up again, she's still standing there, her fair eyes looking around frantically.

"Do you need something?" I ask her, figuring I could at least repay her kindness even if it was stoked with the fear that I would cut her throat out if she hadn't.

"Craster's asked for me, before he left to give the newborn away" her quiet voice shakes, "it's going to be my first time, I-I don't think I can."

I wanted to say that I could help her, but truth was, I couldn't. I wasn't to interfere with Craster and he wasn't to interfere with me. But looking at her now, her hunched shoulders and frightened eyes it was hard to deny her help. Hard, but not impossible.

"I can't help you, and even if I could, I'd just be delaying something that's bound to happen." I explained to her and I sensed the defeat she felt when she sighed.

"I could go with you. Wherever you're going." She offers, her eyes lighting up at the opportunity.

I shake my head. "You couldn't."

"Why not?" She persists, hoping somehow I'd be able to help her escape this place, escape Craster.

I smile at her. "Because I'm going to climb the Wall."