Chapter 9

Present day...

Lizzy stepped out of the cab at the restaurant where they were dining, knowing she looked good. After her earlier scene in the elevator she needed all of the confidence she could get.  She had chosen a soft cashmere blended dress in blush pink that had a cowl neck and revealed one shoulder. The dress clung to her curves and stopped just above her knees. She had chosen matching pink peep toe heels that accentuated her legs. Lizzy had left her hair in soft waves that fell around her shoulders. The look created an image of young innocence making her look soft and touchable.

She had resolved that Brian was back and not interested in finishing what they had started so many years ago.  If he had been interested he would have taken his chance in the elevator. That left her only one option; to face Brian head on, she was not going to run and hide or dwell on the past.  It was past. She was a professional and if this job worked out she would find away to deal with seeing him with another woman.

Perhaps it would give her closure after all these years.

She would give anything to be able to look at another man with interest.  In the years since Brian she had been out plenty of times, but it never got past a few dates because Brian was always there.

Lizzy walked into the restaurant, her eyes immediately meeting Brian's. She watched him take in her appearance as he slowly rose from the chair. He was probably making sure that she had dressed properly for the meeting. Too late now, she should have thought to be totally unprofessional, then there would have been no question of her working for him.

She noticed he was wearing a light grey suit, a white shirt and a navy tie. She felt her mouth go dry at the sight of him. Who was she kidding?  The past was definitely not past. She would always want him no matter how badly he treated her.  She was weak, and she always had been where he was concerned.

Her glance moved to the table behind him, and she saw Heather and an older lady sitting down watching her approach. Heather's look was sour, but the older lady had a warm smile on her face.

Brian's hand moved to the small of her back as she reached the table.

"Elizabeth, you know Heather." Heather picked up her glass and took a sip giving her a smile that didn't reach her eyes. She had applied her make-up artfully, and her sapphire blue dress was eye catching.  It seemed she had wanted to look her best that evening as well.  Lizzy normally would have found the situation amusing, but this time she was one of the women trying to impress so all she could feel was unease.

"And this is my mother, Helen Alexander."

Lizzy tried to keep her face devoid of the shock that she felt. This was no young lover. Her heart rose a little.

"I told you my client was very important." He gave her a little push forward.

"Elizabeth, it is a pleasure to meet you," Helen said, holding out her hand.

"It is nice to meet you too Mrs. Alexander, but please call me Lizzy. Everyone does."

"Lizzy," she amended. "Brian tells me you're Bryce's and Quinn's little sister. They're both such nice young men. Bryce has been such a good friend to my son. In fact, your whole family has.

Lizzy took the chair that Brian held out for her.

"Would you like a drink Elizabeth?"

"Just water thank you." She looked up at Brian giving him a stunning smile. His client was his mother.

"So, Mrs. Alexander, please tell me about this project, Brian said it was very important?" Lizzy took her napkin and spread it on her lap

"That's nice of him to say, but it is just a little stone farm house in the Hill Country.  Well, it is my dream house really." She gave a little chuckle.