Opening my eyes again, I was furthur stunned to see nothing. Absolutely nothing. Nothing but the expanse of haggard weeds gently dancing to the stray gusts of wind.

Before I could observe more, a creak sounded nearby.

My knees wobbled.

Another intruder? Did they force their way inside?

Tearing my gaze away from the window, I scanned the room for something that might help me in a fight.

Because whoever's doing this sure is itching for one.

My eyes snagged on the ashen fireplace, caved in with rotting slabs of wood.

And a rusty firepoker.

I silently wrestled it away from the sponge-like pieces of oak. Slowly, cautiously. After I had freed the instrument, I crossed the room. Pressing myself next to the door frame, I gripped the prickly rod of metal and waited for the person to come to view.

Rythmatic thuds, footsteps, filled my ears, syncing with the pounding of heart. An occasional creak punctuated the garbled melody and I found my palms turning sweaty and tightened my grip on the firepoker.

Come on, come on.

The footsteps drew closer and closer, the sounds louder and louder, and I saw a shadow fill up the space next to my ankle.

When I heard the next thud, I swung.

Angling my body left, I rolled my wrists and used both arms to whirl around to the right and sent the tool flying through the air.

"BLOODY HELL!"

At the Earl's cry, I opened my eyes just in time to see him duck and the firepoker soar over him, harmlessly clattering against the opposite wall.

Uh oh.

Gasping, the noble used his walking stick to boost himself up and I saw that it was shaking.

I couldn't tell if it was fear or anger.

Snapping his head to me, I noticed his cheeks were tinted red and his eye swirling.

Perphaps it was both.

"WHAT THE BLAZES WAS THAT?!" He swore, positively seething.

"A firepoker," I responded, feeling unusually calm. Perphaps relieved - relieved it was just the Earl.

His expression darkened. "I CAN SEE THAT!" Voice still booming, he sucked in a breath and closed his eye. Reopening it, he clenched his jaw.

Fuming, his gloved hand fisted and pointed to the now flightless piece of metal. "But would you care to explain why it was swinging at my head?!"

I frowned. "Would you care to explain why you left me in an abandoned manor, suddenly reappeared without so much as a whisper, slithered through the place like some shadow, and not expect something to swing at your head?"

His nostrils flared. "So the fact that my brain was nearly splattered over the doorway is my fault?"

"Thank you for understanding, it is much appreciated," I mimicked, recalling the response he had thrown at me not so long ago.

The Earl's lips thinned, but, before he could counter, Sebastian materialized behind him with a mildly amused expression on his face.

"Master, the houses next door are not occupied."

I paused in my taunting. "The houses next door?" I blinked, confused.

"We left to check the surrounding area and ascertain whether or not anyone still lives here," the Earl explained, composed once more. "Luckily," he smirked, "the locals seem to believe that your manor is cursed and a ghost haunts the place, scaring away unwanted guests."

The Last Song [Black Butler] [Kuroshitsuji]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें