Anything But Ordinary

Start from the beginning

But rather than focus on statistical models today, I'm more focused on browsing the web on my phone and texting with Ryan, Lacy, Jon, and Olivia.

There are only about 25 people that graduate each year from the University in Actuarial Science, so the students in the program get to know each other very well. We have had the same class together for four years. I've gotten to know some good people, especially Ryan, Lacy, Jon, and Olivia. It is hard realizing that these days are almost over.

We all seem to be headed in different directions. I'm going to be working with a consulting firm near St. Louis that is a short drive from my house. Ryan is working for a rival consulting firm a short walk from my building. Lacy is going to Kansas City for a job with a healthcare company. Jon is moving to New York to work for a company he has been interning with the last few years.

And then there is Olivia. She took my breath away the first time we met. She has blonde hair, beautiful blue eyes, and a great body. I have had a crush on her since our first day of class. Four years later, to my dismay, we are just best friends. I have no clue what she will be doing after we graduate. She also has no clue at all. She just keeps telling us she will figure it out someday. I hope she realizes that someday is approaching fast.

She is the only one of us that hasn't passed an actuarial exam. To become a certified actuary, you have to pass a series of exams. They are challenging and a big reason that many people don't take the actuarial path. She's come so close and had been studying the hardest I had ever seen her study the past couple of months. That was until recently when she starting seeing Trevor.

She told us about him after meeting him at a bar last month. Ever since that day, she has been out late my most nights, very secretive, distant from us, and not studying at all. The rest of our group has tried to get her to open up and talk about everything that has been going on, but to no avail. She has always been very open with us and especially with me. It is hard to see our relationship deteriorate the closer we get to graduation. I hope everything is okay with her, but I get the feeling that she has gotten herself into some trouble. I don't know what it could be, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to know.

As I tuned back into class, I was glad to hear Dr. Lin wrapping up. She almost always goes long so we all were shocked and excited when she ended a few minutes early. We walked out of class and into the hallway of Reid Hall. Ryan said, “Where do you all want to go for lunch? I’m star

ving.” The lunch dilemma had begun. The five of us always had trouble deciding on a place to eat. We all had strong opinions on it but nobody wanted to make the decision.

“I don’t know. We just went to El Maguey last week, so please not there.” Lacy added as she sent a text on her new iPhone.

“What do you think?" I asked Olivia who seemed to be lost in thought as she was staring blankly ahead.

“What?” Olivia asked. She looked like she had just been jerked back into reality.

“What do you want to eat?” I asked again.

“I say Chick-fil-a.” Ryan said before Olivia could say anything. He was pacing as usual. Ryan has a big appetite and he hated the indecision more than anyone because he was always ready to eat. Even though he was shorter than me and about ten pounds lighter, he always took control of the lunch conversation because he was always hungry.

“You always want Chick-fil-a,” I said.

“That’s because they have the most delicious food ever. A perfectly cooked spicy chicken sandwich. It doesn’t get better than that.

“Sounds good to me too.” added Jon and they headed towards the exit.

“Fine.” I said. I wasn’t the biggest fan but I was hungry and wanted to get going.