“Maybe next time.” I mumbled. I heard Kevin sigh angrily. Most of my pack didn’t understand my sudden mood shift, but I was their future Alpha so they couldn’t really question me. However, my friends were another story. My position didn’t scare them and they frequently bombarded me with their opinion. I should go out, I should clean up my life, I should go get Sutton back, I should give Sutton space… It was all the same.

            “Evan, look I know that not having your mate is rough but get over it already. You were exactly like this a few months ago and then you snapped out of it. Snap out of it again!” Snap out of it? Snap out of it. Easier said than done.

            “Go away.” I growled, my back to him. I used my Alpha tone so he had no choice but to leave. Not without getting in the last word though.

            “Evan you’re not ruining your life for this. I was hoping I wouldn’t have to resort to this…” He mumbled as he walked out, pulling his phone out at the same time. I could hear him talking to someone as he walked down the stairs. I sighed, finally some peace and quiet.

            Ten minutes later I heard the doorbell ring. I groaned and buried my head in my pillow. No one else was home and I wasn’t expecting anyone.

            “Go away!” I mumbled into the pillow. I vaguely heard the front door open and then the tell-tale sound of heels clicking against the floor. Step by step, the heels clicked their way up to my room. I tensed, curious to see who it was. The door was suddenly pushed open and a split second her delicious scent wavered over me.

Sutton’s POV:

            I heaved the bags down on the floor as I walked into my room, plopping myself down onto my bed. I never thought the day would come when I would say I was tired of shopping, but there’s a first for everything I guess. I’d been doing a lot of shopping recently. It’s a good outlet for my emotions. Ok, not really. But it’s a good distraction. I pulled my boots off and laid back on the plush bed, closing my eyes. The house was oddly quiet, as my parents were off in some other state on business and I had dropped Taylor off at a friend’s house after our shopping spree. I assume Jason’s around, but at the moment the quietness of the house is what I need.

            Its moments like these, filled with calmness and peace, that I allow myself to think of Evan. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t miss him. It’s weird because I’d like to say I don’t know him well enough to miss him, but a part of me feels like I do. Most of the stuff I know about him comes from what he already told me. Every now and then though I hear other pack members talk about him and I smile. The admiration is clear in their voice, respect evident in their words. They obviously love their future Alpha and from what I’ve heard, who wouldn’t? He’s apparently amazing with kids, playing with them constantly, but he’s still grown up enough to have serious conversations with the elders.

            The weeks  after Halloween, Evan had tried to talk to me. I’d sidestepped him as well as I could but avoiding someone in a small town isn’t easy. In the few conversations we’d had since that night, I’d warmed up to him more. He didn’t know it, but I’m sure that if he tried to explain everything again I’d listen. I’d listen and then accept him as my mate. But we don’t get do overs with life and I’m positive I missed my chance with him. Thinking back, there were countless opportunities to listen to him and I’d turned my back to them. Lisa’s constant push that there was a good reason why he rejected me is another reason why I’m willing to listen now. The main reason though, the main reason is what a mate gives you. They give you companionship, friendship, love. Since almost all of my friends are mated, I’ve had the time to see all the good things that come out of having your mate. Secretly, there isn’t anything I’d like more than to just start over.