Chapter 1

“Tori, Erik is here,” my mother’s sweet voice echoed through the house.  I smiled jumping off of my bed, running down the stairs.  There he was, Erik Shanning.  His green eyes were one of his best features.  No matter who you are, what mood you are in, and what is your personality, looking into his eyes made you forget all the horrid things that may have gone with your life that day.  Then there was his hair.  His hair was something different all together.  The dirty blond hair glistened with each passing light. 

“Erik, I missed you so much!”  I ran into his arms almost knocking him over.  I felt a random sting but refused to let anything ruin this moment.  In our three years of being together, we had never once spent more than a day apart.  Now coming back from a long three day weekend away from him, I never thought I’d feel so happy in my life.  When my family and I lived in Chicago, I had amazing friends and amazing life that I left behind and then just four short years ago I moved here, to the worst place on Earth, Hobbs, New Mexico.  If you’ve never been here, don’t come, it’s basically just dirt.  Everything on this side of the U.S is nothing. 

“Victoria, it’s only been three days, but I missed you too.  I never want you to go away again!”  I smiled, letting his controlling side get the better of him.  He kissed my cheek and held my hand firmly.  He looked into my eyes and I swear I don’t know how I didn’t just melt. 

“Let’s go to the dock,” he nodded and we walked out my back door, letting the warm New Mexico sun hit our tan skin.  The dock is a hang out that my friends made when they were younger.  There used to be a pond behind my house before it was built.  Well when the climate went to hell the pond dried up.  But the little camping area still stands.

“Don’t ever go out of town again,” his lips found mine and I mentally smiled.  His lips fit mine perfectly.  Hell everything about him fit me perfectly.  It’s actually hard to believe he was mine.  The first year I moved here he cursed me with his presence every single day, insisting that I go on a date with him.  Well after turning him down every single time he asked I finally said yes.  Now we can’t seem to get enough of each other.  I mean, we’ve never done anything more than making out, but still we find that amazing.  All of our friends have been doing it for quite some time.  Erik and I are both 17 and still haven’t done anything.  Honestly I think our parents would be proud of us.

“Victoria,” we both pulled away at the sound of my brother approaching.

“Jessie!  What do you want?”  I yelled, feeling anxious.  Even though my brother is 13, I never try to let him see me kiss Erik.  If he doesn’t see us kissing then maybe I won’t have to worry about kicking any girl’s butt who comes near him.

“Mom wants to know if Erik is staying for dinner,” we both looked towards Erik and he shrugged, looking a little frantic.

“Sorry, but I have to go to my grandparents.  I actually should start heading that way now.  I’ll see you tomorrow,’ with a kiss, he left me to ponder what had him leaving in such a hurry.  Sighing, I walked towards where my brother stood and smiled slightly.  My brother and I look so much alike.  I have dark, curly brown hair as well as he.  Yet while my skin is naturally dark, he is a little paler.  And our eyes, everyone compliments us on them.  They are an almost grey color.  Yes, very original I know.  But I love them and so does he, so we make it work. 

“Come on brat, let’s go get some dinner,” I messed with his hair as I said this and took off running.