Bets, Fights and Changing Fate

Start from the beginning

“You’re saying that because you’re my best friend.”

She shook her head.  “You’re beautiful that sometimes even I envy you!  Even Allan had a crush on you before we started dating.”  She said.  “Travis must have been resisting you for years!”

I shook my head.  “No.  He doesn’t want anything to do with me.”

“Of course he does!  But he knows he can’t have you!”

“I threw myself at him!  He knew he could have me, and he still refused me!”

“No.  He can’t have you.  That’s the rule.  Guys usually do not hit on their best friends’ sisters, mothers and exes.  Bro Code.”

“Thomas is long gone.”

“But he’s still Travis’s best friend.”  Cindy argued.

I shook my head.  “No, I’m pretty sure that’s not it.”

“Why did you throw yourself at him anyway?  You said you didn’t have a crush on him?”

I shook my head.  “I didn’t.”  I said.  “But he was so sweet to stay with me when he heard about the dead girl.  Something came over me.  I realized that he was the safest guy for me to be with because he won’t disappear from my life overnight, he won’t talk about what happened to his friends, and he won’t cheat on me because he’s not my boyfriend anyway.  He made sense to me.  And I didn’t want my innocence to go to waste.  I didn’t want him to be my boyfriend.  I just want him… to be the one to show me what it’s like to be with a guy… for the first time.  More than that, there’s no other guy I trust more than him.”

“He really must care about you.”  Cindy said.

“But it’s embarrassing.  Shameful, really!”

Cindy smiled at me apologetically.  “He knows he can’t take advantage of you.  But he kissed you… which means… he tasted what he’d been craving but couldn’t have.  But he’s still a gentleman and he promised your brother he would take care of you.  He can’t be the predator he was supposed to protect you from.”

“Well, everything seems great, isn’t it?”  I said sarcastically.  “On top of that, I don’t even have a date for prom!”

“A lot of guys are thinking of asking you out.  Get somebody hot and decent enough to replace Trip.  Or ask Travis to take you.”

I rolled my eyes.  “You’re very funny!  I’m done asking favors from Travis.”  I looked over at Trip’s locker.  He was having a fat laugh with his friends.  “But I was hoping to go with someone as hot as Trip so I won’t look like a loser to him!”

Just when I thought I’d be dateless for prom, a guy named Alexander Jackson pinned a rose in my locker, with a note that says: