Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten ***

On the way to school the next day her mind seethed at the injustice of what was happening to her.

On how much every step she took cause her knee muscles pain.

She kept telling herself, ‘just a little longer’. 

She had almost saved enough money for two tickets to activate her plan to leave. Her decision  to go to her uncle Doug’s apartment in Seattle Washington was what kept her focused.

She really believed once there she and her brother would be safe.

Not even her step dad or mom knew where he lived.

She couldn’t risk calling or emailing him before that cause it would alert her step dad to her plans and that she wouldn’t jeopardize. 

Her step dad maybe a high end lawyer for some very important political people here, but her uncle was a special Ops Marine and had connections of his own.

He had strictly told her after her dad had died that if she needed him for anything where to go. She believed him. She didn’t have to until now. She missed him so much.

Her step dad had never met him, but she had a feeling that time was coming.

Last summer when she found the stuff on Jack she also discovered the letters she had written to her uncle, all of them. That would explain why she never heard from him. Was her step dad keeping his letters from her?

As she stood there thinking he walked in, drink in hand wearing a devant expression as if she had suddenly become the prey.

She confronted him though,

“why have you done this?”

“I don’t have to justify myself to you!” he gave her a septic expression and put his drink down.

Now up to this point she had no reason to distrust him, so when she walked around the desk and said,

“Seriously? I think you do. You have no right, . . .”

Smack! The slap snapped her head to the side so hard she saw star and it felt as though he broke her jaw!

She had never seen it coming, as tears filled her eyes, he snatched the letters out of her hands and threw them into the fire place.

 That was her first hit, the life changing imprint he made on her, had her world spinning from the shock. 

Then without warning how quickly he grabbed her by the shoulders hurting her as he pulled her close, so close she could smell the gin on his breath. As his cruel smile twisted with his intent, it was accompanied with a hint of malevolent gleaming in his eyes. All the while his hand crept up her stomach toward her breast. She watched the shift come, as if his eyes could get any crueler when he leaned in and tried to kiss her cut lip.

It was then she snapped and gave him a surprise of her own.

Her self defense training kicked in, as she, Amber kneed him right were it counts!

Watching with shaken satisfaction how he withered to the rug, then she slammed his pride with the news about her mother and Jimmy.

Justice was sweat, but the bitter sweat kind. Because a week later he came at her like a force that was unnatural. And her mother, her own mother never looked at her the same. Accusatory, with a dash of acid, spoke volumes, ‘well kid you rated me out so now you gotta pay’.

That was the day she lost the last bit of her, ‘mom’. Yup she was on her own!   

Lately though she could sense something dark brewing on the horizon and that was what she was afraid of. 

She parked her bike and before going inside she pulled her hood up over her messy hair. Pulled open the door only to walk straight into the Barbie squad!

Crap, this day was total crap!

“Hi Freaky girl,” Emma’s to bright smile had her blood running cold.