11| Food Critic

Começar do início

"I'm a regular customer here," I tell Eve. "These people treat me like their family member, that's why the informality--"

"Valerie, you are family--" Debby stresses.

"Exactly!" I interject cheerfully. "Why don't we give our orders, then? You first, Eve. The restaurant has amazing food and service." Debby blinks at me as if I'd grown three heads. All I want to do is stomp on her perpetually tapping foot indicating her rush. Can't she behave a bit for civilly?

Eve shrugs and picks her dinner choices while I chew on my fingernails. Checking my phone under the table, I find it dead. I used the battery up texting Danie and Isa, when I was waiting alone out here. Giving my parents a heads up on the phone is out of the question. Not that they'd have time to check it, anyways.

"Val? Val?" Eve's voice breaks me out of my thoughts. I sit up properly and stare at her perplexed. "Your order?"

"Right," I bob my head up and down, forgetting everything. "I want the special fried chicken," I tell Debby. It's worth a shot. Mom declined it before, but maybe she'll let it go this time. Not long after Debby leaves taking our drinks order with the meal one, I realize I can use the oldest excuse in the book. "Hey Eve, just give me a moment. I have to use the bathroom. Will be right back."

"Sure."

I march inside the restaurant, making sure Eve's eyes aren't following me. It's impossible with the crowd inside. Is there something special going on today, except for the day being a Friday? I sneak into the kitchen and search for my parents. The waiters tell me they're with the food critic outside!

Frantically, I reach my parents who are standing with a waiter at some ostentatiously dressed woman's table.

"Mom!" I hiss in her ear.

"Not now," she whispers back and pushes me away.

"That's not--" I start.

"Valerie, please give us a moment alone here," Dad says turning and glaring at me.

"Dad, the food critic--"

Leave! he mouths.

Under his death glare, I have no choice but to leave even though I try to mouth that woman is not the food critic. Heading back into the kitchen, I grab a paper and a pen and jot down: The real food critic is sitting right across from me. ~Val

I stab a knife in the paper and let it sit where Mom and Dad can see it.

Surely, they use a knife for most of their food. Then, I head out of the restaurant, sighing and almost crying at my parents' negligence. I'm trying to help for the first time and they won't listen! Rubbing a hand over my face, I head over to Eve and almost trip over nothing visible (probably a ghost).

Right across from Eve, Arsen sits, leaning on my chair.

What the hell is he doing here?

Did he tell her this is my parents' restaurant? Oh I hope not! I jog towards them and bring a chair from the nearby table right next to Arsen. Both of them are a little alarmed by my sudden entry into the scene.

"Do you need something?" Arsen inquires. His arm brushes against mine and he doesn't seem to like that much proximity. Maybe he shouldn't have decided to take a seat a table for two!

"She's with me," Eve informs curtly. "We both came here to enjoy a bite."

Frowning, Arsen's eyes flicker to mine. "You came here to 'enjoy a bite?'" No, no! I'll be busted, if he goes on any further.