Letting Go

The days seemed to lengthen and the hours they spent working with each other became painful.

Jacob was finally beginning to realise that Connie wasn't going to tell him the reason behind they're breakup. He knew things couldn't go back to the way they were, not after the amount of arguments and harsh words they'd exchanged.

Both were trying to move on and in doing so built up walls to protect them from being hurt again. Connie couldn't bare seeing him with such a lack of character- his fun charming self was becoming cold and broody. But she had made her choice. It was her daughter over him and while she stuck by that decision it didn't make letting go any easier.

"Mrs Beauchamp major RTC on its way ETA 5 minutes," he said to her through her barely opened office door. She forced a quiet "Thank you" and left her office to clear the ward space.

"Connie there's nothing you could have done." He placed a hand on her shoulder squeezing it gently as they both looked down at the young girl lying lifeless in resus. She quickly wiped away a tear that barely fell and walked out without a word.
Jacob was still frustrated with her but he couldn't help a part of him that broke when he saw Connie upset like that. He debated whether or not to approach her.

A tentative knock stopped Connie in her train of thought. "Come in," she answered, trying to hide the pain in her voice. When she saw Jacob looking at her with his caring, sympathetic expression, she couldn't quite master the words and the strength to tell him to leave. She simply sighed and showed the faintest of smiles. It warmed Jacob's heart. The fact he could still bring her that glimmer of happiness comforted him.

He walked round to her desk chair and took her hand, entwined their fingers together. She looked up and studied his face, tried to work out what he was thinking. His gaze met hers and it compelled her. "Jacob..." His lips pressed gently against hers and she hesitated, just for a second, and then embraced it, moving her free hand to caress the side of his face. Jacob deepened the kiss and ran his fingers through her soft curls. But then she broke away.

"I'm sorry Jacob...I can't." Grace's ultimatum rang in her ears. She stood up to leave but Jacob kept his lock on her hand. He stood, hardly an inch away from her "Connie Beauchamp I can not let you go that easily." She forced herself to hold back the tears forming in her eyes. "Just tell me what went wrong, tell me what I did."

She couldn't bare it.

Her tears fell uncontrollably and he softly wiped them away with his thumb, holding her face in his hands. She began the start of the truth as to why she had to break it off but a knock at the door made her pull away and turn her attention back to her work. Jacob stood there for a moment, listening to her brief conversation with Rita and then, once again, he left.