37 ► The Quidditch Cup

Start from the beginning

"We need to score a goal," Jason stated as he passed the quaffle to Savannah.

"I have an idea. Pretend to shoot and then drop it to me," Savannah replied, passing the quaffle to Rose.

As Rose approached the goals, she saw Savannah drop about 10 feet. The idea was fairly good. The play might actually work. As far as Rose could tell, Taylor was oblivious to the fact that Savannah had dropped a little. Rose faked the shot and saw Taylor's hands reaching out to grab it. She dropped it, which Savannah immediately caught. Savannah then tossed the quaffle through the goal.

"Savannah Wood makes the first goal of the game!" Alyssa announced as the Ravenclaw section cheered loudly, "The score is now 10-0 Ravenclaw!"

It was obvious to everyone that the Gryffindor's were not very happy about this. Andrew flew the quaffle up the field. Out of any of the chasers on his team, he knew the way his sister was going to react the best. She favored her right side, so it'd be easier to get a shot in on the left. She'd probably try to kick it if she dove the wrong way, so he'd have to fake right and throw down left. Hopefully that would work.

He approached the goals. Kristen looked extremely determined to save the shot. However, if Andrew wanted his team to win, which he really did, then he was going to have to score on his sister and piss her off. He faked right and saw her dive. He could see the look in her eyes as she realized her mistake and tried to kick it out of the way. The horror when her foot barely missed the quaffle and smacked into the goal post instead. The sadness as she realized that her mistake might end up making her team lose the game.

"Andrew Wood ties the game at 10-10!" Alyssa exclaimed over the cheering from the Gryffindor section.

To say that Kristen Wood was pissed was an understatement. She was extremely angry that she had missed her shot. She had let her brother score on her. It was unacceptable. She had caused the game to tie up again. Unless her team started scoring like crazy, which wasn't likely considering how well Taylor was playing, the game would go to whichever team caught the snitch.

Kailey Neilson and Jessica Thomas circled the pitch. They both knew that the fate of the game rested on their shoulders. Whoever caught the snitch would win the game for their team. The other one would know that they had been the reason that their team lost.

Suddenly, a flash of gold caught both of the seeker's attention. They both started chasing after it. Unlike the last time they played each other, neither of them was going to try and distract the other. They were both focused entirely on the golden ball that flew in front of them.

"It looks like both of the seekers have spotted the snitch!" Alyssa exclaimed.

The crowd roared with excitement. This was one of the most interesting parts of a quidditch match. The seekers were neck and neck. It could go either way. One of the teams would get the cup and the glory. The other would watch it slip through their fingers.

The other players on the field held their breath. Some of them knew that the outcome of the game might make or break their careers. Others were in it for the pride. They did not want to be defeated. For 8 of the 14 people on the quidditch pitch, including both of the seekers, this was the last game they would play at Hogwarts. They didn't want to remember it as a loss.

Kailey and Jessica reached out their arms as they got within feet of the snitch. They were the same distance away from it. Soon both of them could feel their fingers scraping the gold medal on the outside of the snitch. It was practically within their grasps.

The crowd stood up and looked through pairs of binoculars, trying to figure out which of the seekers had caught the snitch. Would the Gryffindors prove that they were capable of beating Ravenclaw? Would the Ravenclaws regain the cup, winning it 6 out of the last 7 years?

"Kailey Neilson has caught the snitch!" Alyssa exclaimed, as Kailey held the snitch up in the air, the Ravenclaws cheered like crazy and the Gryffindors swore under their breath, "Ravenclaw has won the house cup!"

Kristen flew to the ground and greeted her team with a giant group hug. They had succeeded. They had defeated Gryffindor, even if it was only by a hair. Professor McGonagall was handing her the house cup. She held it in the air, letting each member of her team grab on to part of it. Several photographs were taken, some of which would probably end up in the Dailey Prophet.

"Kristen!" someone shouted over all the noise.

She finished taking the picture and turned around to see who had called her name. Surprisingly, she found that it was James standing there. He had been the one to call her. Kristen wondered what he wanted. He had just lost the game. She had thought he would have walked off to the locker room to sulk. Why in Merlin's name would he want to talk to her? Unless, maybe he wanted to apologize for what happened in the Chamber. Maybe he was really fighting for her.

To answer her question, James stepped up to her and kissed her, not caring how many people were watching. The results of the game didn't matter. All that mattered was that he was here now, standing and kissing the girl of his dreams, and that she was kissing him back.