New York Resident Christian Heesch Knows More About Stamps than Most People

For the last two decades, Marine Biologist Christian Heesch from New York has been collecting stamps as a hobby. It is a pastime that he is quite passionate about, even though it is relatively rare in this century. Over the years, he has learned many noteworthy items about stamps and the postal services around the world.Christian Heesch is pleased to share some of his knowledge with others who might be interested in starting their own stamp collections.

The United States is home to both the world's smallest and the world's largest post offices. The smallest global post office is in a tiny town in Florida called Ochopee. The largest post office is headquartered in Chicago, Illinois.

In the fall of 1969, the United States Postal Service sold a stamp that was created on the moon. This was made possible thanks to the crew of the Apollo 11 moon flight. When those astronauts landed on the moon, they took an impression of the surface using a die that they had brought with them from Earth.

It is commonly believed that mail carriers have troubles with dogs that are kept as pets. This may be even more true in Belgium where cats were once used as mail carriers. Near the end of the nineteenth century, the town of Liege in Belgium tried to use cats as their method for dispersing mail to nearby villages.

Great Britain was not only the first domain to issue postage stamps, they are also the only region that does not print their name on their stamps.

Before there were actual post offices in the United States, persons looking to send or receive mail often had to visit their local tavern. Most correspondence was sent via ocean vessel and the captains of the ships would bring the mail into port and leave it at the bar.

Until then, people sending mail would have to find paste to secure their stamp to their envelope explains longtime New Yorker Christian Heesch.

To Learn more visit at :https://christianheesch01.wordpress.com/