Turning Down Dates

Start from the beginning

I shook my head.  “Not that.  Because I wasn’t lying to Peter.”

“Okay.  Maybe I’ll check up on you in a couple of months.”

I nodded.  “Maybe.”

He walked past me.  He gave me a wink.  “See you in a few months!”  And he walked away.

I walked home.  I thought about Allan and Peter.  Not that it isn’t true.  It wasn’t a lie as well.  I have not discussed dates with my parents.  Although when Tom was alive, I always thought I would start dating at fourteen.

I remember talking to him, asking him about his first date, asking him what to expect, what not to do.

He laughed and told me I was too young to be asking those questions.

“I promise, when you are allowed to date, I will be your first date.”  He said to me.  “I will take you out on a real date.  I will tell you the do’s and don’ts.  Let you know what to expect.  And hopefully set the bar really high for your future dates… it’s good to have high expectations, so your first boyfriend will be a cut above the rest.”  He said with the boyish grin on his face.

“Promise?” 

He raised his right hand.  “I promise.  When you turn fifteen.”

I didn’t know but tears were welling up in my eyes already.  I miss Tom so much.

The cold breeze blew and I hugged my jacket to myself.

When I reached home, I saw a sleek new Porsche parked in front of my driveway. 

I thought one of my parents could be having a visitor.

As I approached the driveway, the door of the car opened.  I watched as a familiar figure step outside the car.

My breath caught in my throat.  Straight black hair, streaked with some dark blond strands, sleek sports sunglasses hiding his devilishly cold eyes.

I stopped in front of him.

Cheri.”  He greeted me.

“Wow!  Someone is still in Paris mode.”  I teased him smiling.

I don’t know how Travis has been making his classes.  He’s been in and out of the country for the past couple of months since Tom died.  One month, he is home, some months he goes back to his home in Paris, with his mother.

“How are you?”  He asked.

I shrugged.  “Okay.  Alone most of the time.”

He pushed his sunglasses up his head to reveal his startling crystal blue eyes.