Chapter Fifty

October 2026

Harry had, what he thought, a brilliant idea: to make breakfast for Lucy, with the boys. He turned off her alarm clock as he snuck downstairs. Freddie was already awake and he wanted to help, of course. After putting the four year old in charge of stirring, Harry awoke Henry. Henry was washed and he was set to pounding some dough. Of course, as Harry watched his two year old son, he somewhat forgot about the four year old. Harry's mind was completely focused on Henry that Freddie had free run of the kitchen. Henry made the mess, which his father tried to clean up quickly.

When he noticed Freddie, Harry only had so much to say: "Oh shite," he muttered. His eyes watched the kitchen. It was more than a mess, probably a disaster zone. Cleaning was more than necessary, and would've taken an hour. Harry caught Freddie and lifted him off the ground. Freddie kicked but laughed aloud. With Harry's mind on Freddie, who made a mess, Henry escaped to make another mess. "Oh, shite, no no no no." Harry grabbed Henry too.

Glancing at the clock, Harry knew it was time. Lucy would've woken up soon, and he needed to wake her up before then. But his boys were dirty in front of him, with food everywhere and Henry smelling like poop. However, Harry checked his younger son and it wasn't him. Being a good father, he checked the potty-trained Freddie, and it wasn't him. Mellie and Eggsy danced around their feet, and Mellie was the most trained but Eggsy was starting to get older so it was probably him.

Harry needed to find it though. The stench was too potent to go unchecked. "Come on, Eggsy," he groaned. "You couldn't-- just this once? I'm trying to do something nice for my wife. You do this?" Harry looked around but the poop eluded.

"Dad," Freddie whined, "put me down."

Harry did so. "Clean yourself up."

"Are you going to clean this up?" Freddie, as a four year old, got his sass from his mum.

Harry glanced around the kitchen. "Eventually." Dabbing a wet washcloth over his boys' faces, he decided they looked clean enough. "Let's go."

Freddie ran upstairs while Harry grabbed the younger son and the food. Thankfully, Freddie waited patiently outside the parents' bedroom. With a nod from his father, Freddie ran in and bounced on the bed. Lucy immediately stirred. Her eyes flipped open, and concern filled her face. She realized what was happening, and she placed a smile on her face. Harry set down Henry on the bed so he jumped with his brother. Harry set down the food beside Lucy on the nightstand and gave her a kiss.

"Good morning." He kissed her. "You're beautiful."

She scoffed and rolled her eyes. Lucy's green eyes came to her sons, whom had settled into the bed in front of her. Of course, she saw the weird stains on Freddie and Henry's clothes. Harry managed to clean enough off the faces and hands, but the clothes were another deal. And it didn't take a genius to know where the stains came from. Then she noticed her sons' gazes, not at her but at the food.

"Harry, did you feed them this morning?"

Harry swore at himself. "I knew there was something I forgot."

Lucy reached over and grabbed the pancakes, ripping them apart and giving them to the boys, who ate quickly. Moving on, Harry climbed into bed too and they ate as a family in bed. It probably wasn't a good example for the boys, but it didn't matter now. The boys finished and ran from the room.

"Someone should watch them," she murmured.

"I'll do it," he promised. "Get up slowly, take your time." Harry shrugged. "And sorry about not feeding them earlier. I just wanted it to be perfect."

"Perfection is overrated."

"You're perfect."

Lucy moaned and sat up. "Thank you, Harry." She took his hand in hers and kissed it. "Really, thank you. This was great."

He smiled, and then he decided it was the perfect time to ask. "You thinking about it?"

Rolling her eyes, Lucy settled back into bed. "I'll get up a little later."

"Just because I asked?" Harry grabbed the dishes and walked to the door.

"Harry, yes, I'm thinking about it."

Laughing, Harry left the room and found the boys outside. Freddie ran around the house, of course, and Henry ran after him. Eggsy, the pug, desperately tried to keep up with the young boys, but Eggsy wasn't as young as he used to be. Mellie wasn't too young either, but she was trained to never blink. She was ready for anything. Henry gave up chasing his brother and fell across Mellie, the German shepherd, and gave her a hug. She moved the boys downstairs and they played while Harry cleaned the kitchen enough. He could get away with it, seeing that he had maids to clean this up.

Lucy came downstairs, where she had changed into daily clothes. She left Harry in the kitchen and entered a side room with the boys. From the kitchen, Harry was able to see into the room and watch them too. Henry played with blocks as Freddie crawled up on the couch beside his mum.

"Mummy," he said quietly.

"Yes?"

"Can I ask you something?"

"Of course you can. There's no harm in ever asking. You won't know." She smiled at her son. "You can ask me anything, any time. I'll be there. What's up?"

"Mummy, what if I like boys?"

Lucy smiled. "You can like whoever you like. It doesn't matter. It's no one's business. You can love whoever you like. You can do whatever you like. Love is love. And morons are the only ones who try to stop it." She kept her son's gaze steadily. "Do you like boys, Fred?"

"I don't know, Mummy."

"You don't need to know now. You don't need to know tomorrow or the next day. You don't need to know in ten years or twenty. Whoever you love, your dad and I will support you, because we love you. You're our son, and nothing can change that." She ran her hands through his hair. "I love you, Fred."

"I love you, Mummy."