1 - Sick Days

Welcome to Life Behind the Walls!

This is a nifty little collection of circumstances that I wondered how the NS would deal with. Each story can be read and enjoyed without having to read the others - although I hope you'll enjoy them all. I do warn however that they were written after having read all the books to date so if you haven't read that far you may find some spoilers amongst these pages. :)

Disclaimer: I don't own the New Species series or any of it's characters. They are all products of the Lovely Laurann Dohner and her boundless imagination. I just borrow them from time to time to do naughty things with. :p

Enjoy!

Sick Days

It all started with a sniffle.

Valiant's head whipped around and he stared at Tammy's snuggled form in the bed. She was barely awake, having partially awoke when he had left the bed only moments ago. He crept on silent feet to the edge of the bed and look down at his Tammy carefully.

Her nose was red and her slightly parted lips dry, her hair sticking to her damp forehead. He crouched down beside her and sniffed delicately, not wanting to wake her. Her scent seemed stronger and when he reached to brush her hair back he was shocked at the heat radiating from her skin.

Valiant's eyes narrowed. Something was definitely wrong with his mate. "Tammy?" He tried to keep the growl out of his voice but his worry plagued him.

"Hmmm..." Tammy murmured, blue eyes fluttering open. "What's wrong?"

And there is was again. She sniffled.

Valiant growled.

"You're ill." He resolved, staring into her clouded eyes.

Tammy smiled at him softly, knowing the growl in his tone was because he worried about her. "It's just a cold. I'm just going to stay in bed and rest for a bit and it'll go away." She patted his hand. "Don't worry."

Valiant eyed her carefully before slowly nodding.

Tammy yawned and pulled the blankets up around her chin, curling around her pillow and falling back to sleep.

Valiant watched her for a few long moments, worry eating at him. Perhaps he shouldn't have taken her to the river yesterday. Perhaps he shouldn't have convinced her to let him strip her and taste her among the wildflowers that grew along the bank. He held back a snarl, not wishing to wake his mate.

He got to his feet and slipped from the room. He padded barefoot downstairs and went straight to the phone. He punched in the extension that would connect him to Doc Trisha at Medical. The phone rang once and Paul answered. He asked for Trisha only to be told she wasn't in currently. Paul asked if he could help and Valiant hung up. He wouldn't trust his Tammy to some unknown male. He dialed the number for Slade's residence. The phone rang three times before Slade answered, a growled "What?" The only greeting.

"I need to speak to Trisha."

"She's sleeping." Slade grumbled.

"Wake her."

"Valiant, what is this about? Trisha worked late last night at medical. She needs her sleep."

"My mate is ill." Valiant confessed, feeling like he had failed Tammy.

"Ill?" Slade's voice sharpened. "What's wrong? Have you called medical?"

"I'm calling Doc Trisha." Valiant pointed out.

Slade snarled. "Fine. One minute."

Valiant heard soft words as Slade roused his mate. The next voice that came across the line was Trisha's, sounding sleep roughened but serious. "Valiant? Slade says Tammy is ill. What happened?"