Part 4

~Kiki~

Waking up from a nap is always hard. Then again, waking up in general is hard. I open my eyes and see L sleeping peacefully. I carefully sit up so I don't wake him up, but right before I get up his arms go around my waist. I look at him, he's still sleeping.

"Don't leave." He mumbles sleepily. Now I'm not sure if he's awake or just sleep talking.

"Lawliet?" I ask, my voice a bit hushed.

"Please... Just stay a little longer." He says. I can feel the quick rise of his chest as he breaths and he's shaking slightly.

"Yeah, of course. Don't worry." I say. I can feel tears hit my back and I turn to face him. "What's wrong Lawliet?"

"We've been working together for so long and now this case... Please Kiki, this case is too dangerous and I can't lose my only friend." He says, his voice shaky.

"You won't lose me on this case. I may be reckless sometimes, but I don't have a death wish."

"I'm scared." He whispers.

"I know, that's perfectly normal. Kira won't be easy to beat, but we're two of the smartest people alive. If we can't do this who can?" I say.

"Kiki, I don't think that I'll live to see the end of Kira. There is a 58% chance of my death." He says.

"Don't say that. You'll make it through this, just like every case before." I say.

"Kiki you need to face the facts. The chances of-"

"I don't give a damn about the probability of you surviving this. You'll do it, because if you don't I'll have to join you to kick your ass for getting yourself killed." I say.

"I just think maybe you really should sit this one out."

"I'm not going to fight you about this again."

"You're too young to-"

"I'm too young? Really Lawliet? I am not too young to work on a damn case. I know you want me safe, but I've told you, I'm working this case no matter what. We've already done this. Why won't you just let me do this with you? We have never had this problem before." I say.

"I haven't actually known you before. I didn't have a face, a name, a voice, there wasn't person to think of. You were Key. A modified voice, specifically not a person. Now you are Kiki Rivers. A person with a life, and is very important to some people." He says.

"And you are Lawliet. The world's greatest detective. You inspire people to work better, especially those kids at Wammy's house. Even I look up to you. Plus, you're kind of my only friend." I say. He sighs.

"You make a better lawyer than a detective sometimes." I smile at his words.

"Guess I have a fall back career then for when I'm replaced." I say and he hugs me.

"Never will there be a team better than us." He says and I smile again.

"Yeah, we are pretty good at this." I say.

"Are you hungry at all?" He asks.

"Not really, but do you have any tea?" I ask. I'm hungry, but I don't want to be a bother.

"Yeah. I'll make some real quick." He says and gets up from the couch. With my source of heat suddenly gone I wrap the blanket around me. After a minute of sitting on the couch I walk into the kitchen and sit on the counter next to the stove where L is boiling the water.

"Bored?" He asks.

"It got lonely and cold in there." I say. He chuckles, looking over at me.

"You're cold?" He asks.