00:28

beau·ti·ful
ˈbyodəfəl/
adjective
pleasing the senses or mind aesthetically

Watching the one and only Harry Styles having to reject someone from afar was like a scene straight out of a cliche, teen romance movie. Niall felt bad for the girl, he did, but all he could think about was how Harry was his and, well, nobody could ever take that away from him. He watched on curiously, staring shamelessly at the way Harry's lips would part and press together briefly while he spoke, from the comfort of his own lunch table. Liam and Evan had been paying him no attention, lost in their own little world and bickering about whatever it was that they were like they always did. Which, now, Niall didn't exactly mind because this way they wouldn't tease him about how obsessed he was with his own boyfriend, so he figured maybe it was a good thing that they were a bit preoccupied at the moment.

Speaking of his boyfriend, Harry was making his way back to their lunch table now, Niall watching his every move. His shoulders slumped, making it appear as if he had horrible posture, and his lips were protruding out into a soft pout. Niall kind of wanted to kiss it right off. Harry's fingers lingered at the back of his neck, gently rubbing at his skin before he dropped his hand and pulled out his chair once he made it to the table.

"So," Liam was the first to speak up. Niall couldn't shift his eyes away from the way Harry chewed at his lower lip. God, he really needed to stop thinking about kissing, like now. "How'd it go?"

"I'm going to hell." Harry answered around a quiet sigh, making everyone (including Niall because, really, he just couldn't help it) burst out into a fit of laughter. "S'not funny." Harry whined, but it only made him look that much cuter. "Lisa is really nice. I should've told her no when she first asked me instead of making her think she actually had a chance."

"Hey, it could've been a lot worse." Evan gave his input, and yeah, he was right. "Oh wait. Just kidding, you're stuck with Niall, I guess the worst has already came."

Never mind, then.

"Shut up." Niall groaned, blue eyes shooting darts at his best friend. And if his foot happened to accidentally collide with Evans shin, well then it wasn't entirely his fault.

"Guess that means we should find dates then, huh, Evan?" Liam nudged Evan's shoulder with his own, only to be pushed right off once their bodies collided.

"Uh, negative." Evan held up a hand as if he were gesturing for Liam to stop. "I don't do dances. You're on your own this time, mate."

"Aw, c'mon Evan, you have to go!" Niall whined, because this was Niall's first year attending a school dance ever and now he finally had a date to go with and he didn't think it'd be half as worthwhile without his best friend being there with him, too. He had to go; there was absolutely no way Niall was going to let him think otherwise.

"You're only going because you've got a boyfriend now. If it weren't for Harry, you'd be on the same page as me right now."

And, well, he wasn't wrong. Evan was completely right—if it weren't for his new relationship, he wouldn't even be thinking about this little winter formal at all. He'd be stuck at home with Evan like every year, watching shitty, old school movies with too much junk food while he pined over Harry in his head and moped around like he used to do because he was so in love with Harry that it hurt to think about. Luckily for him, that was no longer the case. He didn't have to pine over curly strands of hair anymore, didn't have to whine about how impossibly green Harry's eyes were, didn't have to hope that one day Harry Styles would actually, somehow become a part of his life. He didn't have to do any of that because he had Harry right where he always wanted him, and if that wasn't the actual best thing to ever happen to him, then he'd like to know what was.