Chapter One

Maybe we're meant to be. Maybe we aren't. But this is the story of the slugger who stole my heart. He plays baseball. All-star third baseman for the Toronto Blue Jays. Yes, my boyfriend is Josh Donaldson. We've been dating for five years now, and I'm just waiting for him to pop the question.

Then it would prove to my parents that yes we are for real. It would prove to all of his super fans, that yes he is taken, and yes I am right here. But I want him to pop the question, because I think I'm pregnant.

I keep waiting for a good time to tell him, but there never is one. There's always a game, or a practice, or he's just 'hanging' with the guys. But there's always that one off day, which he devotes to me. And he always does something so sweet and romantic.

I'm startled by the crack of a bat, and I realize that Josh just scored a walk-off homerun. I leap up out of my seat and scream and shout. His teammates dump the urn of Gatorade on his head, along with popcorn. Homerun number forty-one, a game winner. He never ceased to amaze me each and every game.

I knew it would be a while before I saw him again, so I started to walk out of the stadium. A voice called out behind me, "Lucy! Wait up!"

It was Josh running from the other end of the stadium. He enveloped me in a big hug, which resulted in me getting popcorn in my hair, and sticky with Gatorade.

"You did good," I tell him.

"You would say that even if we lost," he said.

"Yeah I would, but now you're one step closer to the playoffs," I say.
He leans in and kisses me quick. "I have a surprise for you tonight," he whispers in my ear.

"I have one for you too," I say back.

His eyes widened at the thought of this. "Meet me at the restaurant on main street. Buy yourself something nice. Be there by eight," he says pecking me on the cheek and slipping something into my hand.

He started running back the way he came. "I love you!" he yelled.

"I love you too!" I yelled back. I opened my hand to see three hundred dollar bills. He likes to spoil me.

I went to the mall and bought myself and elegant sea glass blue dress, matching shoes, and some faux diamond earrings that came with a necklace. The necklace set came in a long, slender box that would fit the pregnancy test I was about to take.

I went back to the apartment building that all of the Blue Jays lived in. Some of the guys called it the bird house.
Ha-ha. I unlocked our apartment door and rushed to take the pregnancy test. Those five minutes of waiting were the longest of my life.

I tried to busy myself by turning on my curling iron, setting up my makeup, filling the bathtub. But it was no use. I ended up sitting near my phone for the remaining two minutes. Then the timer goes off. I grab the stick off the counter. And it's positive. What will Josh think? I try to take my mind off of it, by taking a nice long soak in the bath, and it helps.

I get out and curl my hair. Josh likes it curly. And my makeup is done perfectly for once. I spray on the perfume that he likes, and strap on my silver heels. I remember my earrings and put them on. I decide not to wear the necklace. I take out the necklace and place my pregnancy test in the box.

I wondered what Josh's surprise was. I climbed into a cab at seven forty-five sharp, and arrived at the restaurant ten minutes later. Since I was five minutes early, I waited outside the restaurant. I felt a hand slide across my waist, and I jumped and turned my head, but it was just Josh.

"You look great," he remarked.

"So do you," I say noticing the bow tie he added.

He grabbed my hand and lead me into the restaurant and over to our table, where he generously pulled my chair out for me. "Thanks," I say sitting down.