2 > Step Towards Ten

Start from the beginning

Even if it lasted a week or a month, he liked the stability in a relationship. Loved knowing there was someone with whom he could share his feelings and talk his heart out. Many had told him that Finn got invested in his relationship, a little too much, and warned him about a broken heart.

Flawed thinking.

Rebecca snorted and got up. "You have lost your damn mind, Finn."

"Can't you drop your pessimist act for a minute?"

Rebecca walked away. She turned over her shoulder and shouted back. "No! Have to keep my mysterious image."

Finn got up, his food now forgotten." I am going, Max."

Max grinned and leaned forward. "Go my boy! I will be there to catch you when you faint."

***

The vibration of the phone in his pocket halted his steps. Freya had messaged him.

Freya - Did you say?

Finn - Nope. Not yet? Don't you have any work?

Freya - I do. Planning your wedding with Eilidh ;)

Finn - Jesus -_-

Freya - Shut up. Honesty is the best policy ;)

Finn placed the phone back in his pocket. The hallway wasn't full, and he was glad there wasn't any familiar face. The editorial cabin was on the left side. Eilidh was a member of it, courtesy of her brilliant drawing skills. Her simple pencil sketches and drawings brought life out of the paper.

When the door came in his view, he paused. It was ajar, and the various clippings on the wall were visible. He ran sweaty palms over his jeans and took a deep breath. Adrenaline spun through him, making his heart quicken.

Deep breaths.

With a foot inside over the small threshold, Finn peeked inside. He glanced around and was thankful that no one was there except Eilidh. She held her head down as the pencil between her fingers sketched along the paper. Her earphones tucked in her ears, and she was humming along. His gaze went to her desk. It was a mess with pens, pencils and papers scattered around.

A strong urge to either cry or laugh filled him.

Finn stepped inside the room and cleared his throat. When that didn't gather her attention, he banged on her desk softly.

Eilidh squinted her eyes, with her head still bent. When she tilted her head and looked up, Finn let out a nervous laugh. Not before checking her out. Her brown hair swept into an elegant pony, which swayed at every movement of her head.

The black-white plaid skirt paired up with a white shirt was the only thing in the room which didn't have a speck of color in them. Her lips were glossed over with the pink shade, and the gray irises of her eyes stood out with a thin layer of mascara underneath.

Finn wanted to kiss her.

But her steely stare pushed his thoughts aside.

Eilidh stared at him, and Finn found himself moving back a little. She tucked a hand under her chin with her gaze directed at him. Finn blinked two times, and when she didn't utter anything, he took it upon himself to start a conversation.

Finn put his hands in his pockets. "Hey, Eilidh."

"Hello, Finn. Why are you here?" she said with no hint of sarcasm. Her voice was serene and calm. It all but made him more nervous.