2 > Step Towards Ten

"GO AND tell her that you like her. Straight away," Freya said, flicking her fingers.

"That's the first thing you thought? Not flowers or chocolates?"

Freya crossed her legs. "Girls nowadays prefer honesty rather than flattery."

"Really? Last I remember, Nathan used to give you a flower every day."

Freya's lips curled up in a smile. "I never told everyone prefers honesty."

Finn shook his head at his sister, but her words were making their way in his mind.

Their senior year was coming to an end. Finn had a crush on Eilidh since the first time he saw her. It was not love at first sight. It was more like an instant attraction. He was curious about her. People said she had low-esteem, but one look at her face and you would know she has low esteem for everyone else.

That was Eilidh March.

Finn sat on the bed beside his sister. "I can't. When she stares at me, I forget my basic sense to talk."

Freya narrowed her eyes at him. "Aww, cute. Anyway. I don't get why you are afraid to speak with her. It's not like she is going to kill you. See, your year is coming to an end. There are future and college but hey I think you should enjoy. At least talk to her once." She further added, "And, I like her."

Finn sighed. He had enjoyed his high-school, had his fair share of relationships too, but he had an unexplainable need to know more Eilidh. And, now seemed the best chance.

"Okay. I will try."

Freya got up and squealed like a little girl, ruffling his hair and laughing. Finn had always been close to her. She was his spirit animal, who always helped him and saved him from the troubles. Finn had first admitted to her about Eilidh and since then, she hadn't stopped bugging him about Eilidh.

"Brilliant! I ship you both, a lot. So, please unravel your charms and win her, Finny boy. And,  share every detail with me."

"Even if I don't tell, you will make me confess it. So, that doesn't give me much choice."

Freya winked at him. "Astute observation."

***

"I am going to tell Eilidh that I like her."

Max and Rebecca stopped eating and stared at him until Rebecca broke the silence.

"Are you sure? You need guts for that."

"You guys make her sound scary," Finn muttered.

Max blew a breath out of his mouth. "Oh, believe me, she is not scary. Eilidh is quite hot."

Rebecca put a hand over Max's mouth. "Stop it, will you? Don't about Eilidh like that."

"And, you," she pointed a finger at Finn. "If this is all about you thinking that Eilidh is a challenge and all that shit, I will kill you. Ask her once. Don't harass her like a crazy guy."

"I swear it's nothing like that. I would never hurt Eilidh's feelings."

It was the truth. Finn genuinely wanted to go out and spend some time with her. As simple as that.

Rebecca took a bite of her sandwich and glanced at Finn briefly. "I don't get why you are trying now. You guys will go to different colleges, and then the relationship will just blow."

"First of all, I don't love her. Let Eilidh, at least, give me a chance. Future is too far to think now," Finn replied.

"I agree with Finn. It's just a fling, right?" Max said, but Finn didn't answer. He never did flings. Relationships mattered to him.