08 | grace yearwood

Start from the beginning

"Now we let this dry and compare it to the diagram to see what blood type you are," she said.

My finger throbbed lightly beneath the Band-Aid. "That wasn't so bad I guess."

"You were wonderful. Would you like me to find you a lollipop?" she teased. "I'm sure we have some in the house somewhere."

"Sounds tempting, but I think I'll pass."

"Grace? Turning down sweets?" she said with mock concern. She touched my forehead. "You must be feeling sick. I should probably run a few more tests."

The corner of my lips turned upward. "Funny, Paige."

My phone screen lit up as I received a notification.

"Are you working on homework?" she asked, nodding at my laptop. I imagined it was hard to tell since there was nothing written on the document.

"I've got to write an essay. You wouldn't happen to have read this for fun, have you?" I asked her, reaching for the book.

She looked at it with appreciation. "Oh. Faulkner. I've heard of him."

My phone buzzed against the surface of my desk again. And then again.

Paige peered at it curiously. "Are you not going to check that?"

"It's probably nothing," I said, picking it up. I saw that I had several messages.

QUENTIN MILLER: Hi all. Just got my new phone and I'm setting up a group text so it'll be more convenient to chat.

DILLON SANTOS: Good idea man

PORTER MORETTI: Yo

PORTER MORETTI: I'm tempted to tweet something about undercover operations

KYA WELLS: NO

KYA WELLS: YOU CAN'T

KYA WELLS: Can someone please ask him to take this seriously???

QUENTIN MILLER: It's alright. He only has one follower, and it's me.

DILLON SANTOS: Lol

Fantastic.

This was possibly the worst idea Quentin's ever had.

I grimaced as I imagined someone accidentally glancing at my phone and seeing the words Hey, Quentin, have you had any premonitions lately? Can Dillon astral project to the store and pick up some sandwiches?

Worst case: someone would be on to us.

Best case: someone would think we're all crazy.

"Hey, it's dried!"

I almost forgot Paige was still in my room with me.

She held up the card, grinning. "It looks like...hmm, how exactly do you read this?" Her forehead creased as she skimmed the instruction sheet. "Ah! You're Type B-positive blood! Wow, that's pretty rare."

Paige looked so excited, it was hard not to be affected by her enthusiasm.

"Thanks, Grace. You're the best. Now I'm going to go try this on Mom." She picked up her things and practically dashed out the door, shutting it behind her.

QUENTIN MILLER: Meet up in the basement tomorrow to talk about the fire?

PORTER MORETTI: Down

DILLON SANTOS: Sounds good

GRACE YEARWOOD: It can't take too long. I have a paper to work on.