Chapter Eleven

"I ought to punish the both of you, but it hardly seems fit, considering the circumstances. Miss Avocet would never leave her wards unattended unless something terrible had happened." I frowned, confused and concerned. What could have happened? If Miss Avocet was anything like Miss Peregrine, surely she would never leave her charges' sides. I thought back to what Millard had told me only about an hour ago - could it really have been wights? Then, another thought dawned on me.

"Miss Peregrine, when were you going to tell us?" 

At my question, the Headmistress grew confused, though, after a glance between Millard and Emma, she seemed to understand what I meant. "Soon, Miss Sanders. I knew that if I had told you two right away, it might have scared the both of you off for good. I just couldn't take the risk."

"So, what? You didn't want to lose us, so you seduced us with all that fun, and food, and - and girls while you kept all the bad stuff to yourselves?" Jacob seemed to have reached his limit. Emma clearly looked offended, though.

"Seduced?" she cried, bitterness and sarcasm obvious in her voice. "Well, it's nice to know you think so highly of me, Jacob. You certainly know how to make a girl feel special." She then turned to me, pointing an accusing finger at my chest. "And what about you? Is that how you think of Millard here?"

I backed away from the hostile girl, afraid her peculiarity would send my sweatshirt to flames. I looked up at Millard, his eyes widening in shock at the idea, though I could have sworn I saw hurt as well. "Of course not, that's crazy! Do you even hear yourself?" My answer sounded more defensive than anything - it was as if I was lying, even though I wasn't. I looked once more at Millard, but he'd turned away.

"I'm afraid you've been mistaken, Mr. Portman," Miss Peregrine finally spoke again. "You may see it as seduction, but this is, truly, how we live. We have not intended to deceive you, but merely retain some more dangerous information, is all."

"Well, here's some information for you," Jacob started and I could tell already that he wasn't about to make things any better. "My grandfather was killed by one of those creatures. It would have been a hell of a lot more helpful to my mental state if I had known that sooner."

Miss Peregrine was silent, unsure of what to say, searching through the flames in the fireplace with her eyes, looking for a response. "I am sorry to hear that," she said at last, but Jacob didn't seem to be quite as finished as I had thought.

"I've seen one of those monsters with my own eyes. Everyone made me feel like I was going crazy. But I wasn't, was I? Neither was my grandpa. He'd only ever told me the truth, but I never believed him. Maybe if I had, he'd still be alive." Jacob was shaking when he finally finished talking. Miss Peregrine shared a look with Millard and me, letting us know it would be best if we left the three alone - well, four, including Miss Avocet. Miss Peregrine offered Jacob a seat, then turned to us once more before we shut the door.

"Feel free to come back in when Miss Bruntley returns," she said, then turned back to the rest of her company.

When Millard and I stepped back into the hall we were bombarded with questions, though we only had an answer for one: the ymbryne inside was Miss Avocet. It was less than helpful to the children, though, so they quickly returned to their prior topic. Not ten minutes later, Bronwyn had returned with the supplies Miss Peregrine had ordered her to fetch. As the Headmistress had requested, Millard and I re-entered the drawing room behind the strong girl.

As soon as she had the brandy and wine, Miss Peregrine sent Bronwyn away and began mixing the two alcohols together in a teacup. Then she headed back over to her old friend and patted her cheek gently.