Chapter Thirty-Nine

Start bij het begin

"I assume you like it," she said.

He nodded and walked into the bedroom. Gwen had left so that he could change. Harry did, getting his pants on and white shirt.

"Harry, could you help?"

Placing down his jacket to the side, Harry walked over and took a hold of the diamond necklace, from the royal collection. He wrapped it around her neck and clasped it. "Did you get a choice in jewelry?"

"Yes," she said slyly.

"No tiara?" Harry smiled because he knew the answer.

She turned back to him. The heavy diamond necklace fell across her chest, with her low cutting neckline of her deep purple dress. Lucy wore her engagement ring and wedding ring. Then she wore diamond earrings, simple ones that didn't contrast with her diamond necklace. She also wore a small bracelet of diamonds. Lucy looked absolutely extravagant.

"You almost ready?"

"Do you think I'll need makeup too?"

She scoffed. "Not with these society standards."

Harry finished changing into his seven-piece tuxedo, and Lucy helped with his tie. He wore a black tux with a white undershirt but with a deep purple tie and a deep purple handkerchief. His black shoes shined, and when Lucy stepped up into her tall, purple heels, she towered over Harry. The heels would've only be on for a short period of time anyway.

A private dinner was held at Buckingham Palace, in a small and private dining room. The table was set for his family, with William and Catherine and their children, then for Charles and Camilla, for Beatrice and Eugenie along with their families, and then other family members and friends. It was a long table but at least they didn't need to be moved into a large ballroom just yet. The four course meal last two hours, before people were sent off slowly to the event, leaving just the normal family of William and his family with Charles and Camilla.

Lucy and Charles were in deep conversation about something, and Charles laughed. As of late, Lucy and Charles became closer and closer. They had some common interests throughout the years, but recently something sparked interest between them so much that they always talked. In fact, the two of them talked almost every day. When she finished talking with them, she cleared her voice and stood. All eyes came to her.

"Hello," Lucy said nicely. "We've sent off other people for the party, which will be getting started soon so I won't hold us here too long. But I thought I should probably give a speech about my husband because he turned forty years old today."

"Here, here," William called from across the table.

She smiled and continued, "Oh, Harry, where do I begin with you? We have two lovely children together, and we've been together for a while now. When we met, I was eighteen, and you were thirty-one. Keeping with that age difference, you're officially old today by my standards." There was a ring of laughter. "As well as you have to start playing with the old people in polo, the ones on the ponies. You can only gallop so fast.

"Let's stop making jokes at your suspense, just kidding." Lucy's finger ran across the top of her glass. "The first time I met you, we were in Africa together. I was your boss, and I have your boss since that day." Laughter filled the room. "I remember us sassing each other, however I was the first one to sass you. You were taken off guard, and I continued. I have continued.

"Harry, you've put up with a lot of stuff over the years, from paparazzi to more paparazzi to paparazzi being everywhere. It's a wonder you've stayed sane. You've done many different things and have accomplished many things. I am in awe of you.

"One time," she gulped, "I cried because of how proud I was of you, at the Invictus Games. It is when you work so hard that it makes me the proudest. I am not one to show my feelings, as much presented to us by the media," a few laughs, "but you have managed it. The Invictus Games, every two years, makes me incredibly proud to call you my husband and my best friend.

"The first time I went to the Invictus Games, I did cry. And you say me afterward and you asked me what was wrong. Harry was so nervous that he had something to upset me or someone else had. He was so concerned that the world was on fire, and I was crying because of that. I wasn't. I cried, Harry, and I told you, it was because of you. You made me so proud and so happy. You make proud and happy.

"Having been your wife for these past four years and have been your friend and girlfriend for nine years, I can say that I am ready to spend the rest of our lives together. I am proud of the person I am, and you have helped me to become. Through your hard work and commitment, the Invictus Games are not your only your success. I have too many to count, but I will add Sentebale to the mix.

"I am not the only one who is proud of you. Your father is extremely proud and so is your brother. Your mum would be proud of you too. And then there is the public. Half of the time we don't know if they hated us or not, but they are proud of you. They are proud of the man you have become, even if you were doing some bad things were you were thirty. You only needed one more year," she said, "and to meet me."

Harry laughed aloud.

"I don't want to hold the party up too much. You look good tonight, very handsome. I want the world to see how handsome you are tonight, and I want them to know that you're mine-- all mine. We  have many more years to come, and I cannot wait to grow old with you. I'll let this end, but I have one last thing to say to you, Harry." Her eyes turned to him. His blue eyes were amazing. "I love you."