Chapter 2

Dashiel was on the verge of going insane. Since young, he was sent to a training facility specially catered to help enhance and control their inner beasts. Belonging to an evolutionised species, they had powers vastly beyond the control and imaginations of their underdeveloped cousins. Being what they are made them virtually invincible, but it comes with a heavy price. As they all say, with great power, comes great responsibilities. Younglings of their kind would have to be trained from young to reign in their inner beasts when they are still moldable. They would undergo extreme situations to strengthen their physical and mental capabilities, enhancing and retaining their influence and control over their bodies.

After struggling through the initial phase, Dashiel quickly acclimatized to the environment and made many a good mates. Even though life was hell, he was glad to have a bunch of loyal buddies by his side braving through the obstacles together. It was never a doubt that Dashiel would not have gotten out of that hell hole if not for the mental support they gave one another. Fond memories aside, it was a place he wouldn’t want to see again so soon.

Now, however, facing the mountain of paperwork on his desk, a few more years at the facility doesn’t seem like such a horrible idea after all. I must be crazy to have been happy to come back.

“The council has been informed of your decisions. Word is out that they aren’t very happy with it”

I looked up at stared into the eyes of my cousin. “Well, I’m not very happy either.” I groaned, gesturing to the pile of papers with disdain. “The paperwork’s about to bury me 10 feet underground.”

Chuckling, Matt walked over from where he was leaning on the doorframe and patted me on the back. “Sucks to be you, your royal highness”. Seriously? Even Matt? I’ve just about had enough with the titles and salutations. I was just in training for goodness sake! It’s going to at least a year or two before I officially take over. Not a very anticipated day, in my books. Life is good as it is for now. Freedom has to be slowly savoured.

I decided to ignore his jab and changed the topic instead. “So how’s the meeting arrangement coming along?”

“It’s coming along fine. My dad set up a bar which couples as a meeting area for when we have large gatherings as such. Brilliant idea if you ask me, not that I’d ever admit it to my dad’s face. Nobody would take special notice of a quiet bar on the outskirts of town. On top of privacy, it brings in the occasional income too. Two stones, one bird.” Matt said, mimicking the shooting of stones using a slingshot.

“Great. Time to meet the pack then.”