Prologue

Prologue

Distant sounds of growling and snapping roused me from my slumber. Rubbing my eyes whilst yawning, I wondered what the ruckus was about. However all thoughts soon left my head as I remembered the date. Today was my day, and I knew just exactly why.

Humming to myself, I happily skipped down the stairs only to be greeted by darkness. Where was everyone?

“Mommy? Daddy?”

I called out to the darkness, only to be acknowledged by an eerie silence. Were they planning to surprise me? With that thought in mind and a big grin etched on my face, I hurriedly ran into the living room expecting someone to jump out at me anytime shouting ‘Surprise!’.

When I finally made it there, the living room looked like a wreck. It seemed as though someone placed my house in a vacuum, stuck all our furniture onto the ceiling, and then re-introduced gravity. Amidst all the broken furniture, something glistening in my peripheral vision caught my eye.

There was a small beam of light coming from outside through the cracked front door, and it landed perfectly on a pool of…. blood? My eyes followed the trail of blood to the kitchen, and what I next saw broke my heart to pieces.

There, on the floor, lay the broken bodies of my parents.

I sank to the floor. No. This cannot be real. I’m still dreaming. Yes! I’m still dreaming, and I’m going to wake up now. Shutting my eyes tightly trying to wish everything away, I opened my eyes again expecting to be in my own bed, with my parents by my side kissing me happy birthday.

Alas, fate was not so kind. When I opened my eyes, my parents were still on the kitchen floor, unresponsive. Shaking, I slowly reached out to shake them awake.

“M-Mommy. D-Daddy. Wake u-up.”I trembled.

When they didn’t respond, I shook them with all my might, desperately calling out to them.

“Mommy! Daddy! Ple-ease w-wake up! Emmy p-promises t-to be good!” I hugged them both and sobbed heavily.

Suddenly, the back door in the kitchen banged opened, lighting up the whole place. The sudden brightness blinded me momentarily as I struggled to see the face of the intruder.

Standing in the doorway, with the sun shining from behind him, all I could see was that he was a man of strong built. Who was he? Was he the one who killed my parents? My eyes widened in thought. If he really was the killer, is he here to finish me off now?

My thoughts were brought back into reality as I heard the floorboards creak with each step that the man took, effectively reducing the distance between us dramatically. Fear elevated in me as I felt my heart pump faster than it ever had. Everything about the man spells danger, and I knew I had to get away.

Adrenaline surged through me as I pushed myself up and ran towards the living room, hoping to get out through the front door. When I was out, I could get someone’s attention and help.

Just as I grabbed the front door knob, a hand encircled me from behind and I felt his hot sticky breath in my ear.

“Hello, little princess.”

----

You may have realised, you may have not, but I'm totally revamping this story.

Sorry, I took too long, and I totally forgot the plot and feel for the previous one. So here I am, starting a brand new plot line. I hope you'd like it still!