No duh, I thought. 

        The lady pressed her hands to her cheeks, her eyes shining as she ran them over each of us. She stepped forward, the bearded man watching her and smiling slightly. The perfect couple. She stopped in front of the young kids. No surprise. 

        "We take very good care of them here, making sure they know their manners and how to act properly," the Headmistress told her, and I couldn't stop the snort that escaped me. 

        The Headmistress's head whipped in my direction, and her eyes darkened menacingly. I winced when I realized what I had done. 

        The Headmistress then made us each introduce ourselves to the couple. When they approached me, I looked up. "My name is Calypso, and I'm sixteen years old," I said in a bored voice. 

        The lady looked slightly surprised, and the Headmistress glared at me. Oops. I offered a small smile towards the lady, and she returned it before moving on, her husband's hands resting on her shoulders. 

        When they had met everyone, the couple turned back towards the Headmistress. The trio walked out of the room, and sighs of relief echoed around me. 

        We waited in impatient silence until the couple came back into the room. 

        "Leah," the man called, and my heart caught in my throat. Leah stepped forward, practically bursting with excitement. 

        "We'd like her," the woman said, entwining her hand with the man's, and he smiled down at her. My heart clenched. I was happy for Leah. 

        A few minutes later, the Headmistress excused us, giving me a look that told me I was going to get it later. I ran upstairs with Leah. 

        As soon as we reached the room that she shared with three other young girls, we squealed in excitement. I twirled her around the room. "You're getting out!" I yelled, making Leah laugh. "Quick, let's pack all your stuff so you can get out of this wretched place as soon as possible." 

        We ran around the room, grabbing Leah's few belongings and shoving them into a small suitcase. I helped Leah change into some more comfortable clothes and folded her dress, placing it in the suitcase. I zipped it up as she found her shoes, and together, we walked downstairs. 

        The couple was waiting, bright smiles on their faces. I handed the suitcase to Leah's new father and turned to face my best friend. She ran into my arms and hugged me just as tightly as I hugged her. 

        In the eight years I had been here, Leah was the only friend I had made. The other kids my age found me too quiet, too mysterious, too weird. Now she was leaving, and I was going to be alone. 

        Her new mother took her hand, smiling down at her, and I couldn't help but feel a pang of jealousy. As they left, Leah looked back at me and smiled happily. Then, she was gone.

                                         ***

       "HOW DARE YOU!" The Headmistress's shrill voice screeched. She grabbed my hair and threw me into the kitchen counter. I slid to the floor, not bothering to get up. The Headmistress grabbed my arm in a tight grip and dragged me down the hall. A door slammed open, and I was tossed out onto the cold concrete.