CHAPTER 2

"Zach! Over here!"

Miles was waiting for me inside the main doors of the bus terminal when I arrived. I paused before heading over to him to glance over at the girl. We'd ended up travelling together even on the bus from Sudbury to Toronto but had never actually said anything to each other. She gave me a small smile and walked off without a word. I sighed and headed over to where my uncle was standing.

Miles was Mum's older brother. If there was anyone in the world I wanted most to be like, dress like and act like, he was the one. Showing up at the station dressed like he was on his way to or from a VIP party, though it was the middle of the night, was just part of his charm. At forty-something, he looked like the kind of guy who could get any girl he wanted. He also just happened to be the owner and manager at Crystal, one of the best-known nightclubs in Toronto.

"Hey, Miles! Good to see ya, man."

I shook his hand with enthusiasm. While he too was born and raised up north, he'd spent most of his adult life here in Toronto. He had always made a point over the years of coming up to see us, so he and I were already good friends.

He spoke quickly, all business.

"Listen, I know you must be tired, but I'd love for you to come down to the club tonight, after you've settled in, to meet some of the guys. I'm setting you up in my office. Don't worry, it's got a shower and everything. Zach, I am so psyched about getting you on the team, and I think once my guys meet you, they're gonna get why you're perfect for our place. Man, this rocks! You finally had the good sense to come down here. You were made for Toronto, Zach, I'm telling you. You're gonna fit in so well here. Already wooing the ladies on the trip down, I see."

He nodded in the direction of the girl, now gone. I laughed.

"Not really."

"Well, by the way she was eyeing you, she wished something had happened, methinks. Ah, well. Regardless, the ladies here in town are gonna go crazy for you. I know it!"

I chuckled to myself as we headed out of the terminal. It was shortly after one in the morning, and I was amazed at how busy the streets were. So alive! Lights of every colour blazed and flickered from storefronts. Whole walls lit up with neon advertisements, and hundreds of cars drove down the narrow streets, honking at each other and swerving in and out of traffic. The air was fresh and cool on my face, and there was a very light spattering of rain. The scent was so different from what I was expecting. Each block smelled different: curry and oregano, rotten fruit and vegetables, ash and cigarette smoke, and even the occasional hint of weed.

I followed Miles, clueless about where we were going and grateful that my suitcase had wheels. Men, women and some I wasn't even sure of, as varied and colourful as the signs above them, walked past us. Some were laughing, some looked very serious, and all had lives of their own, totally and completely individual. One asked me for change. I gave him the loonie I had in my pocket. We had homeless in Thunder Bay, so I wasn't surprised by it, but I was shocked by how young this one was. He had to be younger than me.

A woman wearing a very revealing outfit and the scent of ejaculation invited me for a "fun night." I grinned at her and then sprinted to catch up to Miles.

"So, what exactly am I doing at the club?" I asked, jogging to keep up.

"I'm making you a host, Zach. And trust me, you're gonna do great at it. Wanna know why I know you're gonna do great? 'Cause you're a people person, Zach. Can't say how excited I am to have you on the team. I mean, the last time I saw you, I came right back here and told my guys that I knew you'd find your way down here someday."