Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

*Temperance*

"Who do you think she is?"

"I do not know."

"Should we kill her?"

"No! She hasn't done anything wrong!"

"Except braking into our house and is sleeping on our beds."

"Shh, she's waking up!"

I opened my eyes tiredly. There were seven small faces looking directly at  me. I sat up quickly and glanced at the people around me. My heart was pounding. Were these the owners.

"Hello, m'lady." One of the men said. "Uh...who..."

"Who are you?" asked another one angrily.

"Temoerance..." I said softly, tears springing to my eyes. "I apologise for entering your home without your permission...I..."

"You don't need to worry." Said the man that spoke to me first. "As long as you are not  here to steal or harm us, it is fine."

I bowed my head. "Thank you...um...I think I should go..."

"Where are you staying?" he asked.

More tears sprang to my eyes. "I have no place. I have run away from the palace dungeons, where I was...tortured to put it...softly."

The sen men stared at me with pity. Finally the one that spoke to me first said, "You are very welcome to stay here with us."

"What?" Said the second one. "Why? She might be a spy! Or she might be out to kill us! You heard her, she was a prisoner!"

"Please, Rumpet!" The first man said sternly. "She is helpless and on the run from that wicked queen! She is hurt and tired. We cannot just leave her somewhere!"

The man called Rumpet folded his arms and was silent.

"I am sorry," the first one said. "My name is Franklin. We live here as stone and wood cutters."

"Oh," I said, smiling faintly. "Nice to meet you."

He bowed.

I looked to my left. "I am afraid that the queen may come looking for me..."

"You are safe here." Another man said. "I am Humphry."

I bowed my head to him. Franklin said, "You can stay here as long as you like, m'lady."

"Thank you."

***

Over the next few days, I stayed at the seven men's house. That day I had come, I had noticed that they were dwarfs. They were very kind to me and even Rumpet has grown attatched to me. Everyday, when they left to do their work, I stayed at the house and cleaned up the mess.

One sunny day, I opened he windows of the cottage to let some fresh air in. The sunlight poured in and lit up the small room. It was a very nice and quiet day today and I was enjoying myself. I had made myself a new dress. A elegant middle blue with black undergarments and a black corset. It flowed down to my ankles. I kept my feet bare and still had the small sliver ankle braclet on. I gazed at it, remembering how I had got it. Father had given it to me when Mother died. Aparantly it was hers. I fingered it slightly, with tears swealling in my eyes. I missed my family. Father, Alek. I wanted them both so much...but that was impossible. They were both dead.

The dwarfs were going to be a while in the forest so, I decided to sneak into town to buy some supplies for them. Clipping on my black cloak, I hurried into town, avoiding any contact with any gaurds or nobles. I bought some food like fruit and vegetables and a knew broom for I could clean the cottage better. I was on my way out when I saw an old lady selling all kinds of fruit. I had lready bought fruit, but these fruit looked different and foriegn, yet...tasty. She turned and spotted me, smiling.

"Hello, my dear." She said sweetly. "Care to purchase any of my products? They are very fresh, you know."

I smiled at her and walked over to her, gazing at the basket of fruit that she had.

She bent down and lifted a funny looking apple. Instead of being red or green, it was pure white. Though it looked different, I felt my mouth watering.

"This one is very delicious, my dear." She said, gazing at it herself. "It is all the way from a nother land. It should be very expensive."

I looked down. "I am sorry, I do not have that kind of money." The seven dwarfs had given me some money to go into town quickly to purchase things they really needed.

"That is fine, my dear." She said kindly. "I will allow you to buy it for free."

"Free?" I cried, shocked. "But that is too...that is not fair!"

"It if okay, my dear. Take it, enjoy." She handed me the apple and disappeared into the crowd of people. Looking at the apple I quickly made my way out of the town and back to the cottage.

Setting down my basket of what I bought, I sat of a chair and bit into the apple. it was so delicious and moist! I was about to take another bite when I realised that there was something on the apple where I had bit it. A red streak. My eyes widened. Blood. My eyes fluttered and I stood, dropping the apple on the ground. Swaying, blood poured from my mouth, soaking my dress and staining the floor. My breathing became slow and suddeny cut off all together. There was something in my throat, blocking my airway. I choked and hit the floor hard. I struggled on the ground and tried to scream but no voice came out. I tried to cough to try and get whatever was blocking my airway out. I rolled on the floor from side to side, slowly feeling the life in me eb slowly away...