Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

*Alek*

I gently kicked the horse in her side and she moved forward towards the town. I felt Temperance's grip around my waist tighten slightly as we rode down the hill. It took about three minutes to actually reach the town. A low wall surrounded the front of it with a narrow gap for visitors to enter. As we nearered the houses and small dirt roads, I directed the horse to one corner and dismounted, helping Temperance off too.

"You shouldn't help me," she scolded. "You are the one in desperate need of help!"

I just smiled innocently as possible at her. The things I'd do to her if I wasn't in so much pain...I gripped my side where my broken rib was and grabbed the reins of the horse in my other hand. Sticking out my elbow for Temperance to hold on to. She looped her arm around it and we wondered deeper into the group of houses and other buildings, in search of an inn. I glanced at my love. She actually didn't look like she was looking for a place to stay. She looked more alert and nervous about something and when she caught my eye she bit her lip and looked at her feet.

"Sorry," she mumbled, "I'm just worried that soldiers are going to jump out at us at any second."

I pulled her closer to me. "You don't need to worry about them." I reassured. "They wouldn't find us here."

"But if they do, you won't be able to fight, and I have no experience with fighting a trained soldier."

"Sure." I said slowly, "Stabbing a trained soldier in the back and killing him is so not what you call experience." Though this came out as a joke, I didn't smile or chuckle. But I think I was meant to...

Temperance frowned a little. "No I mean like an actual battle. I won't be able to defend you!" from the tone of her voice, she sounded like she was about to cry--which I really didn't want to happen. I've seen her cry before--mourning the death of her father--and it made me feel guilty. I wanted her to be happy with me. I dragged my eyes off of her and looked around at the signs that hung above the shops and buildings. Shoe makers, clothe dyers, inn, blacksmith--hold on, we past the inn...I was about to pull Temperance and the horse towards it, when I realised that the horse needed a place to stay. I glanced around and relief flowed through me. There was a small barn  across the road. What luck!

"The horse should stay there." I said to my love and she grunted in agreement. I led the horse to the barn and opened the door. I hope you don't have to pay to keep animals in here. Inside, there were other horses, standing alone in seperate stalls. I glanced around for any empty stalls. There was one right at the back of the barn. If it belonged to someone else...too bad. It was mine now. I faintly smiled at the thought of some traveller returning to the barn to put his horse into his stall, only to find that it was already occupied. I was about to tell Temperance the thought, but she would probably find it mean, as she loved every animal...even bears that are about to devour her.

As I finished tying up the horse, I felt soft arms wrap around my waist. Temperance was hugging me from behind. I grinned and swung my arms back to bring her closer to me, but I only succeeded in sending a large amount of pain through my nerves where my broken rib bone rested. I grunted and gripped my side and I heard Temperance gasp.

"I'm so sorry!" she apologised. "I should have thought before trying to suduce you!"

I breathed out and forced a smile. "Do not worry, my love. I'm fine and I will be better within a few days."

She stared at me, doubtfully. "Let's go to the inn." She gently took my hand in hers and slowly helped me out of the barn. "I think you should rest, while I try to heal your broken bones and your bruises and cuts."