Chapter 1

The men on the street eyed me as I walked through in my heels and nice dress. It was really no surprise. I recognized a few of the men and couldn't believe that a few of them didn't recognize me. But it had been ages since I had been in Boston, let alone my old Irish neighborhood. I had moved on, went to college, got a good job, done things no female from this part of town would ever dream of.

I arrived at my destination: McGinty's, the bar that I used to spend most of my time at on the weekends when I wasn't working. I usually didn't drink but one beer, but I liked to go and talk with all the knuckleheads that went in there for their drinks every night.

When I entered the small bar, every single pair of eyes turned my way. Most of them were familiar, but two stuck out above the rest.

"Connor and Murphy McManus, I should've known you'd be here," I said with a smile. They looked confused for a moment, and then recognition seemed to flicker across their faces at the same moment.

"Cassidy?" Connor asked. I nodded.

The brothers exchanged looks before taking in my figure once more. "What, haven't you ever had a college educated girl in McGinty's before?" I teased, making my way towards where they were sitting at the bar.

Connor, Murphy and I had known each other for a very long time. We came across on the boat together. Before that, we were school friends. and our mother's had been best friends. We knew each other for so long, that leaving them was the hardest part about going off to college.

"Where's that Irish accent we love so much?" Murphy asked when I sat down next to him at the bar. I rolled my eyes.

"The public takes you more seriously if you are a reporter with an American accent, so I learned it. I can change them easily from one to the other though," I assured them both.

"So, how is big shot Cassidy the journalist?" Connor asked. I laughed lightly.

"I'm good. Really good, if you don't count the amount of work my boss always gives me," I said with a sigh. Murphy and Connor shook their heads in agreement.

"Aye, we know how that goes," Connor said.

"You know, I've been sitting here for a good five minutes and neither of you have offered me a drink," I teased.

"Oi, Doc, get the lady what she wants," Connor instructed the bartender, Doc.

"Whatever's on tap," I said politely. Doc nodded and brought me back a glass.

I took a sip and then placed my glass on the table. "Thank you," I said to Doc. He nodded and then turned to the other guys who were waiting for their drinks.

"So, what're ye back here for?" Murphy asked.

"I'm writing a story on the Saints, you know about them?" I asked.

Connor and Murphy exchanged glances before nodding.

"They're causing quite a stir around town, we've heard of them," Connor said.

"I'm writing a piece on them. Hopefully it'll be the piece that finally gets me a promotion and a raise," I explained.

"It's awfully fucking dangerous, don't you think? Chasing after men who kill others," Connor asked.

"I'll be fine, sugar, don't worry. They don't kill the innocent," I said cheekily.

"Watch you're back," Murphy instructed.

"Of course," I said, polishing off my beer.

"I best get back to my hotel. I'll be around tomorrow, trying to get some information," I promised.

Murphy and Connor exchanged glances. "We oughta walk you back," Murphy said.

"Just as a precaution," Connor added.

"Nah, I'll be fine boys," I said, hopping off the bar stool and placing a hand on Murphy's shoulder.

"We'd feel better if you'd let us walk ye," Murphy said. I rolled my eyes.

"Fine, walk me to the hotel. But I don't need you to," I insisted.

"Tha's what ye think," Murphy said under his breath.

They paid Doc for our drinks and then we made our way out onto the sidewalk. I gestured for us to go to the right, and we walked in a line, side by side.

"So, how's ye family?" Murphy asked.

"They're alright. Dad's not working anymore but they seem to be doing okay," I told them.

"Tha's a shame, he's out of work," Connor said. I nodded.

"He doesn't like being home much but there's really nothing he can do about it," I agreed with a sigh.

"This is where I drop off," I said, looking up at the hotel.

"Aye, see you tomorrow," Murphy said.

"You boys stay out of trouble," I teased. "No bar fights while I'm gone."

They smirked and glanced over at each other. "We can't promise ye a thing," Connor said. I smiled, shaking my head at them, and then entered the hotel, ready to crash for the night.

Hello! I decided to put this back up! A lot of readers were reading and enjoying it and after I took it down I realized just how many were! I'm sorry it's took so long to get up guys but I really wanted to go over it in-depth and now that I have it's back up!

So, what do you guys think? Do you think Cassidy will ever find out about the boys? How do you think she will find out? Do you have any predictions for the future? Let me know what you guys think because it means a lot to me!

For those of you who don't know,  November is National Novel Writing Month. I wouldn't bother telling you this BUT there is some cool things that go along with it! At Nanowrimo.org, you can sign up to create a FREE account. After creating your account, you set a word count goal, and write all throughout the month of November to reach that goal. If you complete the goal and have it validated, you get a code for 5 free self published copies of your novel! Awesome, right?

If any of you have read my original story, The Runaways, that was the product of a very busy Nanowrimo last year! It's a lot of work but it's also a lot of fun.

(If you are under 18, there is a site for kids at ywp.nanowrimo.org. Unless you want to write the standard 50,000 words that adults do, I would suggest going there! The word count goals are flexible!)

Alright, I think I'm done with this lengthy authors note. I'll be updating regularly so keep an eye out!

And, as always, don't forget to vote, comment, and fan!