De Laurentis

CHAPTER ONE

When the De Laurentis family gathered for lunch, it was usually a solemn affair filled with short prayers to the virgin Mary. Anything could happen during the hours between lunch and dinner. Today was different, however. I could smell it. I could almost taste the tension in the air. And I saw it in the tight grips of utensils; in the way grand papa emptied his glass of wine in rapid succession. Even the lively smile of mama had dimmed. I'd never seen her look so serious.

Was this the reception I deserved after so many years away from home?
There were whispers as I ate and I realised I wasn't meant to hear what was being said.

"Irène, my dear, let us retreat to your bedroom so you can tell me all about your trip to Casablanca," mama said, pulling me out of my chair.

She's French, born in the capital Paris to the De La Fontaine family. She was a strong, cold woman who was born into old money. It was a surprise to the other members of the family when she adopted me immediately after seeing me shivering in an alleyway wearing tattered clothes.

"Rosario, bring us some fruits for dessert," she said as we walked out of the dinning room. She still maintained her accent even after years of staying in Italy.

"Where is papa?" I asked as we entered my room. I walked to the dressing table and pulled the hair clips from my dark hair. "I haven't seen him since I returned."

"He's busy," she said, sitting on the couch that lay opposite the massive bed. I turned to her.

"It's been two days," I said. "Is he still upset about Damian? I broke up with him."

"I disliked that boy too. He was a gold digger. But that isn't why your father is yet to see you. He's clearing up a mess in Venice. He'll see you as soon as he's back in Chicago."

"What about Albertina? Where is she?" Albertina was my playmate when I was younger. She was the daughter of one of papa's bodyguards, Roberto.

"She's the mess your papa was sent to take care of."
My eyes widened.
"She betrayed the family and she had to go."
Mama patted the space next to her.

"Come tell me the thrills of your journeys," she said and smiled. "I have never been to Casablanca."

I sat next to her and took her hand in mine.

"Morocco is a most wonderful country, mama. It has everything. Rugged coastlines, hot scorching deserts, and high unending mountains. Everything, mama! And Casablanca is a jewel indeed. I wouldn't mind going back."
Mama laughed softly.

"You must really be enchanted by the country. You've never visited a country twice."

She was right. There were too many things to see in the world and I couldn't afford to be tied down to one place. Still, there was no place more comforting than my home, Italy.

"You should come with me next time. We could go to Carthage or Mali. I hear the people of Benin are well versed in magic. Real magic."

Mama shifted with interest. If anything got her so excited that she forgot herself, forgot that she was the matriarch of the De Laurentis family by marriage, it was magic.

"Really?"

I nodded. "I heard from an acquaintance of mine that it is virtually a religion. They call it African Traditional Religion. It transcends borders. In fact, every culture in West Africa is immersed in the religion."

"We must go there this winter."

I smiled.

"Mama, can I ask you a question?"
Her excitement faded away as quickly as it came.

"What is it?"

"What's going on, mama? Lunch was too tense. What were they whispering about?"

"You ask too many questions."

"I'm a curious woman."

A smile tugged at her red painted lips.

"Of course you are. You are my daughter." She lowered her voice.

"There is war brewing. The Di Mercurio family has betrayed us to our Russian counterparts. All talks have come to an end and now war is our only option."

"Where is papa?" I asked again. Somehow the story she gave earlier did not add up. Why send the heir to do a job meant for lowly gangsters.

She smiled bitterly and her eyes hardened.
"Antonio Di Mercurio, that scum took him from us. It was a shoot out and your father took a bullet between the eyes. It was a clean shot. The news came in today."

My eyes watered and I swallowed a sob. Mama's hand tightened around mine.

"Don't let them fall, Irène. Now is not the time for tears."

"What?"

"Listen to me. Never ever waste tears on a dead man. Save them for the living."

"He is my father," I said. How could I not cry for him?

"And he was my husband. But you don't see me crying, do you? He's dead. You're still alive. Worry about the living not men who are down six feet under."
I looked at her. She was sitting impeccably straight, dressed in black, with her ankles crossed and hands both hers and mine folded in her lap.

"The threat is still out there. You can cry after Di Mercurio blood has been spilled."

She stood and brushed non existent wrinkles of her dress.

"I'm glad you are back."
She kissed my cheek and left my room, shutting the door softly behind her.

Rosario entered immediately after my mother left.

"Your fruits, mistress," she said, placing the tray on the glass table in front of me.

"Take it away, Rosario."

"But mistress, you did not eat lunch," she said.

"Leave me Rosario and take the fruits with you."

She nodded and rushed out.