Chapter 5

Chapter 5

The president of the company, based in Indiana, had signed the letter. Carly read the letter through once more. Although highly flattering to be considered for such a project and to be offered such an exorbitant amount of money for a relatively short period, something didn't feel right about it. The letter implied the work would be difficult, but for that amount of money, she'd be willing to work hard. The time frame presented the only problem. Perhaps she could ask them to delay for a few days, just until she got this thing cleared up with Denise.

She glanced at the clock on her computer. Four o'clock here on the east coast meant three hours earlier on the west coast. Perhaps she would actually get to talk to someone rather than leaving a message. She hated the thought of losing this plum assignment, but she would stick to her guns and say she was available next week instead. She dialed the number and listened to the ringing. After what seemed like forever, the sound changed to indicate her call had been forwarded to voice mail. A woman's voice came on and simply said: leave a message and we'll call you.

"Hi, this is Carly Turnquist, from Bear Cove, Maine. You sent me a fax asking me to come to LA for an assignment tomorrow, which is Tuesday. I can't come then. I can make it next Monday. Please call me. You have my number. Thank you."

Carly hung up, feeling some regret at the possibility of losing that much money. Still, she had other commitments. Denise thought she was in big trouble, and whether she was or not, Carly had no intention of abandoning her now.

Carly quickly changed her shirt for a clean one. If she was going to go see the mayor, she wanted to make a good impression. Maybe he ran out on her at the barbershop because he didn't want to be seen in public with someone as shabbily dressed as Susan's expression indicated.

She was pulling her hair back into a ponytail and checking her teeth for anything green that might be stuck there when the phone rang. Her heart quickened. Maybe Mike was calling. He usually did when he traveled.

"Hi Carly. It's Susan."

"Hi Susan." Carly quickly checked the clock on the nightstand. Fifteen minutes to get down to the town hall. "Can I call you back? I was just on my way out the door."

"Sure. How about tomorrow morning?"

Carly sighed. "Can't. I'm going to visit my daughter in Riverdale for a few days."

"It's not really important. It can wait. I wanted to make sure you weren't still worried about whatever is going on at the MacQuarrie place."

Carly held the receiver with one shoulder as she buttoned her shirt. "I'm not worried. Just concerned. Strange things are going on in town."

"Really? Like what?"

Carly switched the receiver to the other ear. "Like this parade today. Like you selling a property suddenly that's been on the market for years. Like me getting a great job offer out of town that I have to accept today or lose it. And like the mayor avoiding me."

Susan laughed loudly, causing Carly to jerk the phone away from her ear to save her eardrum. "Oh, Carly. You have such a vivid imagination. And I thought accountants were boring."

Carly grit her teeth. She hated that whole bean-counter image. "Well, got to go, Susan. Thanks for calling. I'll call when I get back in town."

She hung up a little more forcefully than necessary, cast one last glance in the mirror, and pocketed her keys. Time to get moving if she wanted to meet the mayor. Or worse yet, have to run all the way to town hall. Carly's favorite form of exercise was jumping to conclusions. Running was not an option.