Chapter Three ϟ Maybe Someday

Start from the beginning

Sensing the sadness and discomfort in his voice, Brennan dropped the attitude and smiled. "Believe me, I'm pretty good at understanding things."

Barry peaked at her from under his long lashes before a small smile floated onto his lips. "When I was eleven my mom was murdered in front of me."

Brennan took in a sharp gust of air that was inaudible. She knew what that sadness felt like but she let Barry continue. "No one believed me but I saw something in my house that night, something said to be impossible. There was a man in this yellow lightening that killed my mother, however, my dad is now locked up for it because the man disappeared. So, now I follow impossible case to prove..."

"...if those cases are true yet impossible why wouldn't yours be?" Brennan finished. Barry agreed to it with a simple nod.

Not knowing exactly what possessed her to do this, Brennan offered her help. "Okay, so where is this next impossible case."

Barry's gaze stayed on her for a few seconds until a large smile stretched across his mouth. Grabbing a few sheets of paper he handed them to her. "Starling City. There has been a break in at a facility run by Queen Consolidated."

Bren sighed. Guess she was going back to Starling City for the holidays. Turning towards her desk, she grabbed her things. "All right. We better get going then."

"We?" Barry questioned. Bren nodded. "Yep. I have family in Starling and since it's the holidays I figured it would be a good time to stop by. Plus, you are going to need someone to vouch that you got sick at work and now have food poisoning."

Barry continued to grin at her. "Okay, let's go. I just have to stop by my apartment real quick."

The two walked out of the exit heading towards their apartment complex. The whole ride there Bren's leg nervously twitched up and down. Going back to Starling was a big step for her and she didn't know if she was ready, but she guessed now she had to be, for Barry's sake. 

ϟ

"Do you know where the building is?" Barry asked as they drove in Brennan's car.

Brennan nodded. "Yes, plus I heard the address come over the wire before we left."

"Pretty and perceptive, interesting." Barry joked causing the two to chuckle. Brennan's smile left Barry almost breathless. He knew she was pretty, hell he would have to be blind not to think the girl was beautiful. He had never seen her smile thought. In the last few weeks, he noticed how she stayed to herself, no matter how many times she was invited out, and was normally very stoic. But right now, with an actual smile on her face at his joke he wondered why she didn't do it more often.

"What?" Brennan asked. The smile had dropped from her face as she expression turned to one of confusion. She noticed Barry staring at her, almost as if he were looking through her, and it sent a weird feeling down her spine that Bren wasn't sure she liked.

Barry's head snapped away from her once he realized he had been caught staring. A faint blush rose to his cheeks. "Nothing. It's just, you don't smile very much."

Bren didn't look at him but Barry noticed her hands grip the wheel just a tad bit tighter. Bren shrugged before answering him. "I don't normally find a lot of things to smile about."

"Care to elaborate?" Barry asked slightly afraid that she might snap at him for being too personal. Brennan was silent for a few seconds as she flicked on her left blinker turning the car in the direction of the QC warehouse.

"Maybe someday Allen," She mumbled pulling the car in park. Her eyes stared at the grey building while the anxiety built in her chest. "Maybe someday."