Chapter 12 - The Results

Okay, here goes nothing. I'm hoping everyone enjoys this chapter. I promise that the next chapter will be more Rhia/Max centered than this one. I wanted to post what I had so far, though. Hopefully, I'll be able to update midweek.

***********************************************************************************************************************

Rhia

I woke up with an impending feeling of dread. Today was the day I would find out if I was pregnant. Most of me wanted this to be a false alarm, but a tiny part of me wanted this to be a baby. I had been dating Dane for three years, and marriage was a topic Dane liked to avoid at all costs. I should have left him two years ago when he dodged me the first time I'd brought it up. I'm not sure why I was still in this relationship. On some level, I knew I was only with Dane to prove to myself that what I'd had with Max had been a fun time, and nothing more. I knew better, though. Having a baby might mean I would have to give up Max altogether. It also might be cause for me to enter into a marriage with Dane that neither of us wanted.

After last night, I knew beyond certainty that Max would be the only man I ever loved. I had wanted to let him take me so badly, but it wouldn't have been right. Oh, Max, if only this kid were yours.

I looked at the empty bed next to me. Dane was awake already. I heard water in the bathroom. I wondered if that was him.

There was a knock at my door. "Come in," I yelled. The door opened, and Bria was standing there.

"You still need my help today?" she asked.

"Yeah," I replied. "I definitely need moral support."

"When do you want to do it?" She asked.

"Let me get a shower, then I'll be ready."

"Sounds good," Bria said, closing the door as she walked into the hallway.

A few minutes later, Dane walked out of the bathroom. His towel was wrapped around his waist, and his hair was wet. His shoulders were broader than Max's, and his abs more defined. He had a nice tan already, after one day at the beach. He was definitely hotter than Max, to everyone but me, that is.

That body of his came at a price, though. He was adamant about going to the gym and watching what he ate. Sometimes it annoyed me so much, I just wished he'd get fat and give up. I certainly did not frequent the gym. I ran on my treadmill every morning, and tried my best to eat healthy, but I wasn't obsessed.

"Morning," he said, as he unwrapped his towel from his body and got dressed.

"Morning," I said, getting up out of bed and heading for the shower. He grabbed me on my way past and kissed me passionately. I kissed back after realizing what was going on, but my heart wasn't in it. There was no denying that he was nothing like Max.

When he pulled away, I said, "That had to be gross for you. I still have morning breath."

He smiled. "It was fine, I just had to check something," he said in a way that made me wonder what he was thinking.

I entered the bathroom, and locked the door on both sides. It worried me sometimes, because the lock on Max and Cassie's side stuck. I really didn't need Max walking in on me this morning.

After finishing my shower, I found Bria. She was on the back patio, admiring the view. Most of the others had gone down to the beach already. "Want to do this in my bathroom?" she asked. "I wouldn't want Max or Cassie walking in on us. Dane, either."

"Sure," I said. She was right. I didn't want anyone to know.

"Here goes nothing," I said to myself as I shut Bria's bathroom door and peed on the stick. Afterward, I opened the door to an anxious looking Bria.