Knock Knock

"Odd," The mouse said, his gnarled tail and blonde hair swaying at the sound.

The door of the mouse's hotel had been being knocked on for minutes on end. He thought at first that it would just be some pranksters from the graveyard. But, when the knocking ceased to stop for the third minute in a row, he had suspected different. Such persistent knocking would never come from pranksters.

"Well then," he started, his elderly voice cracking unpleasantly. "I guess I should check the door."

As he waddled up to the double set of doors, he felt a sense of unease, something not uncommon at his humble abode. However, this unease was different. It felt more disturbing than the normal amount and was almost innocent as if it were triggered by his grandson.

He looked around, his lazy eye seeming to stay in place, unsettlingly before gripping the handle of one of the doors and creaking it open. As it slowly swung inwards, he looked out.

"Welcome to-eh?" He stopped mid sentence, realizing that nobody was out there.

This was nearly impossible. Whoever was knocking kept on knocking until he had started to open the door. Whatever had been there must have been one of the dead from the graveyard or an old spirit.

The mouse shrugged. "Oh, well. Less trouble for-!"

Suddenly, he was interrupted by a strike of lightning, a common occurrence there. However, as thunder rang out, a scream and high-pitched cry broke through the wall of sound. The rodent flinched but looked around outside once more.

A woven basket was perched upon the front stairs, covered by a fuchsia blanket. This detail that the hotel owner missed apon first inspection was astonishing to him. The hotel rarely got packages, especially not those in picnic baskets.

The blanket moved slightly, signaling that whatever was in this little package was alive and conscious. Looking around once again as if searching for the real owner of the basket, the mouse picked it up and brought it into the hotel.

Placing it on the reception desk, he lifted off the blanket with a pair of tweezers, a fly swatter at the ready. He was prepared for any danger, any nuisance that would be found within the small, woven basket. What he wasn't prepared for however, was a human infant dressed in a pink onesie to be staring back at him.

"Huh?" He exclaimed, lowering the swatter. "Well, wouldja' look at that."

Apon noticing the rodent staring back at her, the child gave a delighted squeal, it's eyes lighting up and arms reaching out for the mouse. In return, the mouse lifted her up, inspecting the baby.

"A human has no place here, especially when it's so young!" He said, placing the child back into its basket. "I guess you're stuck here, for now," He chuckled darkly. "I'll be right back," the mouse said, stepping into the back room.

"Gregory," A voice sounded followed by the sound of mechanical wheels. "Gregory I have some problems....Gregory?" There was a sigh as a golden man rolled into the room, suspended from the cieling. He had a striped, pointed hat and looked to be part scale, holding a pink, glowing heart in a cage suspended by one "hand" and a glowing yellow dollar sign in a cage hanging from the other. Two, ten ton weights hung from his torso, keeping the scales balanced. A golden "G" was carved into the middle of his chest.

As the scale pivoted, light reflected off of him, making the child squeal and applaud at the bright light show. He heard this and, spotting the basket, rolled over to it.

"Well, hello there, little one. I've never seen a human so small before!" He grinned kindly, flashing his sharp, triangular teeth.

He brought his "hands" towards the child, picking it up gently and cradling it in his arms. He smiled and chuckled as she reached out to his face.

"You like her, don't you?"

The scale gasped and looked up, Gregory watching him. He looked from the baby and back to Gregory, trying to form words.

"I-I mean," he cleared his throat. "She is harmless, Gregory."

"True but, I do not want to take any risks. Throw her out in the rain. Someone will pick her up."

"She'll die out there."

"And...? Not my problem. Leave her with a couple of bottles of milk!"

"I'm going to keep her in The Judgement Factory."

"The Judgement Factory? She'll break everything!"

"That's one risk that I do not mind taking," he said, turning around and rolling away.

"Y-You-! You'll regret this! I-I'll-I'll evict you, Judgement Boy Gold!" Gregory snapped, stomping his foot.

Gold stopped and, with a smirk, turned his head slightly towards him.

"Just you try."

With that, he turned his head back and headed towards The Judgement Factory, the new member of his family squealing and giggling in his metallic arms.