Especially if the alternative put them in danger. It was better this way.

The wedding got closer and closer, like an impending doomsday. Once that day happened it would be all over for me. I could kiss any remnants of freedom goodbye.

And I still never saw Peter. If he was even still hidden somewhere in the large house, it wasn't in a place I had any hope of getting to.

And, as much as I didn't want to believe it, Randall's words had begun to infect my mind every time I thought about Peter. I couldn't argue that he was fading, being eaten up by the dark side. But the idea that the sweet Peter I knew had never even been real, that we'd been doomed from the start, was what truly killed me.

As the wedding day drew closer all Randall ever said to me was that I should smile. It didn't even occur to me that I never did anymore. But every time I saw him he would take my face in his hands and ask me why I'm not smiling.

I wasn't sure if he was delusional or just trying to be even more of an asshole than usual. It was hard to tell.

The morning of the wedding was long. All of the planning had been done outside of me, which I was perfectly okay with, but this was the part of the event I couldn't avoid.

I was woken up by a flurry of people who pulled me out of bed and downstairs to an idling limo.

I was barely even awake by the time we got to the convention center. Of course, he'd rented out the whole thing. I didn't think just one person could even do that.

I was ushered into a back room that was set up to do makeup and hair for the whole wedding party. Dresses were hung on wheeled racks and makeup counters were set up, each with its own personal stylist.

But before I could even get that good of a look at what everyone else looked like I was pushed into another smaller room right off the main one.

Inside was a singular makeup counter and a big white dress wrapped in a plastic cover. My stomach twisted at the sight of it.

I changed into just my underwear and a silk robe before I sat down in front of the mirror.

I was left alone with two stylists so my mom and sister could get ready, which was kind of a relief.

We were all friendly, but I was quiet as they did my makeup and hair. There wasn't much to say, I just wanted the day to be over with.

I was afraid to mention that I was hungry, at the risk of sounding obnoxious, but luckily for me, someone brought in some coffee and pastries for us all to nibble on whilst they were getting me ready.

"Smile honey," One of the men said, "It's your wedding day!"

I gave him a tight grin and wished I had the energy to make it more believable. Maybe after more coffee.

"Don't worry," a woman said with a warm smile, "Everybody gets jitters."

I nodded and they went back to messing with my hair and idly chatting.

It all passed in a blur, mostly because I wasn't paying any attention to what was happening to me.

I didn't even look up until my heard the excited squeals of my mother and sister behind me. Turning around I saw them barreling towards me in matching silky red dresses.

"You look so beautiful!" My mom looked close to tears as kept herself from playing with my soft loose curls.

"Thanks," I said, venturing a look at myself in the mirror. I did look great I couldn't deny that. And if my face carried any speck of happiness, I would have looked beautiful.