Shopping

I walked back to my house to get my car. But first I had to go into my house to fetch my keys and wallet before going to my parking spot under the tree that used to bear my tire swing.

The poor car had gotten almost no use in the past month since I stopped going to school every day, and it had the accumulated grime to prove it. The only part that still looked new was the pair of fuzzy purple dice hanging from the rear view mirror.

I drove around to the shack and tapped my horn lightly. Peter peeked out, like it would be anybody but me, and then crossed the overgrown lawn to the passenger side door.

I leaned over to unlock it, but when he pulled it open he hesitated.

"Is there a problem?" I asked, just waiting for him to tell me that cars were a sin.

"Why is it so low to the ground?"

I shrugged, "That's how it was built."

"All the cars I've seen are big, and have big wheels." He was gesturing with his hands but since my car is indeed low to the ground, all I could see was the hem of the shirt dancing along his midsection.

"That's all very nice and good but I promise they all work the same."

He ducked in, looking uncomfortable, and shut the door behind him.

"Sorry it's not like you're used to." I said halfheartedly.

"Well I've never actually been inside of a car."

Of course he hasn't, "well then this is going to be an interesting day for you."

As soon as I hit the gas he latched himself to the door handle like he was going to fly away.

I laughed, "Are you alright?"

"This makes my stomach feel weird."

"Yeah, I guess it would." I glanced over, "Do you know how to put on your seat belt?"

"Yeah, I think, isn't it this button?" He said, and out of the corner of my eye I saw him push the window button before I could stop him.

The car filled with a strong gust of wind and he shrieked in surprise, throwing himself across my lap and causing the car to swerve.

And once he realized he was touching me, a female, he shrieked again and threw himself into the floor board.

I stomped on the break and we came to a jerking stop in the middle of the road. Luckily cars rarely come through here.

"Are you alright?" I asked tentatively.

"I don't think I like cars." He murmured from under the glove compartment.

"I know, but it's kind of unavoidable these days," I said, reaching for him to pull him up but stopping myself, "Come on, get up."

He pulled himself back into the seat and I showed him how to actually put on his seatbelt.

"Okay are you ready to give it another go?"

He nodded, "Yeah."

"And you're not going to press any more mysterious buttons?"

"Don't patronize me." He said giving me a sideways look.

I started the car again, "Fair enough."

We drove on and he asked questions.

"Where are we going?"

"A mall." I told him, but was seriously reconsidering taking him to such a populous area. Unfortunately, the mall was the sole place within a two-hour radius that sold anything except animal feed.