Chapter Twenty Eight

Start from the beginning

“What did that prove?” asks Jan as, their kiss ended, they stand close together.

“It proved a heck of a lot to me Janny,” Ryder trails his fingers along her jaw line. “Tell me that you won’t fight me anymore.”

“There wouldn’t be much point, you always win,” Jan’s voice is a little petulant.

Ryder releases her and pushes her away from him firmly, over the distance which separates them, Janny’s surprised, questioning eyes meet his.

“That’s not good enough, Jan,” he states quietly. “I’ve told you how I feel, but I don’t want a wife that doesn’t come a hundred percent certain and willing—if you can’t give me that then I don’t want anything from you.”

“Querida? There you are: Robin would like to talk to your friend, Jan,” Catalina, unconscious of the scene she has interrupted, smiles pleasantly at them both. “He invites you to eat with us.”

Ryder remains perfectly still looking down at Jan as though no interruption has occurred.

“Great!” Jan’s voice is a little too eager. “I’m famished aren’t you, Ryder?”

Her voice as she turns to him is pleading, but he doesn’t seem to notice.

“Jan and I have something to finish first, but we’ll be down presently, thank you.”

“Please, Rye, it can wait until later—we can talk later, can’t we?”

“No it cannot wait, but if you’re hungry we’ll continue this conversation over dinner.”

“With everyone listening?” gasps Jan.

“It’s not what I’d have chosen, I grant you, but if that’s the way you want it…”

He begins to walk down the hallway towards the stair, quickly pursued by Jan.

“We’ll be down in a minute, Kate,” assures Jan, barring Ryder’s way.

Catalina excuses herself with a knowing smile and the hallway is quiet as Jan fidgets uncomfortably under Ryder’s steady gaze.

“Do I have to say it out loud?” she asks eventually, blushing a delicate shade of pink in embarrassment.

A mischievous glint enters Ryder’s eyes but as he looks down at Jan’s bent head he relents and reaches out, taking her hand in his and pulling her towards him gently. He had only meant to embrace her but Jan, reaching up to whisper in his ear, says the three words whose assurance he had needed, before turning to kiss him.

It is some time later that they descend the stairs together, in search of Robin and nourishment.

“By the by, Jan,” Ryder stretches his arm across her shoulders. “In response to your earlier question, no, fighting and destroying things are not my only talents—remind me to show you some time.”

“I thought you just did?”

“Oh, you’ve seen nothing yet!” replies Ryder.

~~~~~~~~

“Ryder said you’d be leaving this morning.”

Tom doesn’t turn at the sound of my voice, but continues to tie his boot laces.

“How are you feeling—I came to see if you needed me to re bandage your shoulder?”

Tom straightens and turns around to face me, tucking a gun into his belt.

“Ryder’s already done it,” he pulls his jacket on. “What about you, are you alright?”

“Fine—I’m tougher than I look!” I shift my weight awkwardly. “You’re going back to Andak city aren’t you?”