Chapter Twenty Six

Start from the beginning

And so here they were, in just a few moments Ryder and Tom would arrive, it was almost too sublime: their trial has already been carried out, the second the recording had finished he had seen it in the brothers’ eyes and nothing could stop it now.

The door opens and the guard brings Tom and Ryder into the hall, Jimmy smiles inwardly, they are nonchalant, not seeming to notice the cool atmosphere in the room, having no idea of the catastrophe that hangs over them.

“Jimmy has found a breech in our security, if you’ll all take your seats we can begin.”

It is Orin that speaks, his voice echoing around the hall, as he gestures to where Jimmy stands, respectfully quiet against one of the arches. Tom looks surprised, he probably hadn’t even noticed him when he came in.

-------

Tom moves to take his place at the table feeling strangely unsettled, he had felt something was wrong when the guard arrived at wisteria house but now looking at the grim faces around the table he knows that something has happened, and that somehow suspicion has fallen on Ryder and him. The lights begin to dim, whatever it is that he’s about to see he knows that the majority of the room has seen already, of that he is sure.

 “Though many should stumble, though all should fall, with you at my side, I will always stand tall.

Where is Tommy?” asks Ryder.

“We last saw him three days ago,” replies Jan.

“You know?” he continues.

“About the accidents, yes?”

“What have you done with, Dec?” asks Deeta.

“Dax is fine, for now—you can see him later, after we have discussed some of the more important issues—I can be sure of your help?”

“With the accidents?” asks Jan. “That is why, Tom, sent us.”

“Then we had better begin, follow me.”

The lights flicker on, revealing the guards standing behind Tom and Ryder’s chairs, obviously the plan from the beginning, what hadn’t been in the program is the gun that Tom holds steadily against Adin's head.

“Drop it, Tom,” Orin’s voice is uncertain, his outstretched hand trembling slightly.

“Or what, you’ll shoot me?” queries Tom. “You’re going to do that anyway.”

“We can talk about this,” continues Orin.

Tom laughs and looks over his shoulder at the guard.

“Yeah—I can see that you had talking on your mind; up you get Adin.”

Adin stands, Tom’s hand on his shoulder and the gun still pressed firmly against his skull.

“Now the way I see it you have two options here: one you shoot me dead—the down side of that plan is that Adin gets it as well, or two: you tell the guards to put down their weapons, and me and Rye, the girls and Dec leave the compound unharmed and unmolested with Adin—who we’ll send back afterwards.”

“You’ll just kill him,” states Orin flatly.

“It’s a distinct possibility,” shrugs Tom. “But the other way it’s a certainty. I wouldn’t make the wrong choice, what would you tell his wife; think about it Orin, how would you explain all this to Nina?”

Jimmy is dismayed to see uncertainty in Orin’s face.

“Don’t be fooled, he won’t kill him,” he exclaims fearfully.