Chapter One

Note~ This is under a major reorganization. I originally wrote this when I was 15/16 so my writing was... more unorganized and immature than it is currently. Obviously I realize that werewolf stories are cliché but if I don't finish this story, I'll go crazy because I hate leaving things unfinished.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As I said goodbye to the Rebirth Pack, a pack full of ex-rogues looking for another chance, I couldn't help but feel completely hopeless. For the last six years I have travelled to every known pack in the world, from the desert packs in Africa to the lone pack in Antarctica, looking for my mate. My father, the Alpha of the Red Leaf pack, kicked me out under the ruse of needing to find my mate. The actual reason was to ensure the pack remained under male Alpha control, as it had since its founding in the 12th century. He made sure that I left before my sixteenth birthday, for if I had been in the pack as a sixteen year old, I would have begun the process for Alpha control. However, if the future Alpha leaves before they start the process, then they have until the next heir turns eighteen to return for control. My brother turned eighteen two years ago, which would make him the next Alpha.

If I wanted to challenge him for the position, I could. Any Alpha heir may challenge another for their position as soon as they are of age, but I would never hurt my brother. He was an innocent in my father's plans, and I loved my brother too much to ever pose a threat to his well-being. Even so, my inability to find my mate means that my options are now limited. I can go back to my pack, find myself a job in the pack and live the rest of my days knowing that I am not the Alpha simply because my father is an arrogant sexist. I could join another pack, but still would be remiss knowing that I could never be Alpha. I would never challenge another Alpha either, winning would make me an Alpha of a pack that would then despise me for killing their leader. Or, I could live in the human world. I could go to school, get a degree, find a job, and settle down in human life.

Of the three options, the human life seems to be the best choice. Even if being Alpha is the only thing I want to do, maybe I could find something that would be close. If I was lucky, maybe I would meet some human, settle down with them and even have little half-werewolf children. Unfortunately, with my lineage, they would be more werewolf than human, but I could cross that bridge if I reached it.

I took a deep breath, mapping out the list of things I had to do to even start my new life as a human. First, I needed to find out what month and day it was. Then, I needed to find out when the next set of college classes began. I would have to sign up for them, of course that brings up the issue of money. Although my father did give me an allowance for the finding of my mate, he made sure it was limited to three thousand dollars a month. Most of my lodging was free due to the hospitality of the packs that I visited, so all the money was spent towards food and travel. Even so, I did a lot of walking. Now that my trip ended in vain, my father would cut all funds off. When I called him with an update three months ago, he made sure I understood that if I didn't find my mate by the time I ran out of packs to visit, I would not be given any more handouts.

Pulling out my wallet I looked at all the cash I had left for the month. I had six hundred dollars, enough to get me back across to America with some help, but not enough to live off of. Looking around the human city of Port Elizabeth, South Africa, I spotted a bank. An idea popped into my head to get back at my father and I whistled as I crossed the street into the bank.

Even though there were five people ahead of me in line, the tellers still managed to get everyone through pretty fast and I soon found myself next in line. The teller, whose name tag read Peter smiled at me, "Hello ma'am, what can I do for you today?"

"I was wondering how much money I can take out of my account?" I asked sweetly, making sure to put on a trusting smile even as I lied, "I have decided to extend my trip here, but I'll need more cash to do so."