[ 07 ] lost territory

Start from the beginning

     "I can smell you from a mile away," she told him.

     "I had a shower before coming here, okay," he told her and she chuckled.

     "Sure, and I" Jinny let out a strangled cry as the older boy grabbed her arm into a lock and his elbow hooked around her neck. He knocked the back of her knee and she felt her leg give in as she dangled on to his choke hold with clawed hands. She heard his deep throaty laugh rumble next to her ear, sending her hairs bristling.

     "Bellamy, I am going to murder you in your sleep!" she exclaimed.

     "Rule Two." He smirked. "Never let your guard down."

     He released his hold on her and she regained her balance  to  spin around, smacking him on the arm. His eyes were filled with mischief as he continued to laugh at her expense. After a moment, she couldn't resist the infectious mirth that escaped her own lips. Bellamy leaned his back against the railing next to her, hands deep in the pockets of his jacket.

     "I figured out the code you gave me," he said proudly.

     "Yeah, you want a prize for that?" she smirked widely at him.

     "I could do with some new shoes." He grinned and she rolled her eyes in good humour.

     "How's O?" she asked.

     "You know how she is," he sighed. "Miserable. Restless. Wishing she was never born to begin with. I wish I could do something more for her."

     "We could sneak her out at night," she told him. "We could bring her here."

     "I think she'd like that."

     Jinny stopped, feet crunching against the detritus that lined the forest floor. She blinked and looked around at the sound of frantic yelling, starting towards the direction with her blade drawn. The rabbit she had hunted earlier rested on her shoulder as she crept forwards through the dense foliage. The girl sighed in exasperation and sheathed her knife when she saw that it was just Atom—hanging from a tree.