Chapter 4: FAMILY MEETING!!!

I was right; this meeting was about me, all about me actually. Emily sat by me and held my hand. Something bad was coming I could feel the tension of it in the air. We all were sitting outside of Emily’s and Sam’s house, waiting.

“Josie, there is something I need to tell you,” Billy said his husky voice filled the silent air.

“What is it? Please tell me, I want to know,” I answered my voice soft but I knew they all could hear me.

“Josie, Sam found you in the middle of the forest when you were seven, your parents died on your birthday in a car accident. We had Jasper make you feel like you belonged to me, but I knew I would want to tell you the truth someday, you aren’t a wolf as you may have noticed, and you are going to live with Sam and Emily,” Billy said slowly. I started crying I knew I didn’t belong here with this amazing family. The boy I thought was my brother walked over to me and hugged me and then Emily hugged me and tried to get me to stop crying, actually it wasn’t crying anymore it was like dying from sadness I started sobbing and hyperventilating. Everyone crowded around me trying to get me to breathe normal. I slowed my breathing down until it was back to normal, then the tears were coming down like when a waterfall comes down onto the surface of a river or pond. I got up and started running from everyone. With me being human it was difficult to see. I ran through a break in the trees and kept running; even when I tripped or fell I got back up again and kept running.

My mind was racing and there was only place I knew that I could think at without anyone finding me. I ran in the dark of the night through the forest. In the morning the sun broke through the clouds and I ran in the light now. What I thought was tan skin wasn’t it turned white as a page in a book as I ran, but when the light hid again my skin was tan again. I ran to the docks of the Seattle shore and jumped off of it without thinking. I swam underneath the dock and popped up with my head under the dock. I heard howling, but I knew they wouldn’t find me. Tears were still streaming down my face and I wiped them away with the back of my hand. I heard people walking across the dock and I went under the water a little bit. My heart was racing and I knew that if it was one of my “family members” they could hear and they would get me. I heard two splashes, but stayed where I was. When their heads came out over the water I noticed it was Embry and Jake. My heart ached as I saw their sad and worried expressions. I silently swam out from underneath the dock and when they went back under water to search for me I climbed onto the dock and sat their and played with my wet hair, waiting for them to come back up. I saw Jake pop up first then Embry. They looked at me and happiness and love took total control over their expressions. The sun came out again and my skin turned white. They slowly came towards me and got out of the water at the same time. Embry ran to me and pulled me to his dark chest. For once I was a light compared to him. He smiled at me and kissed me.

“Why did you run off?” Jacob and Embry asked at the same time. As I thought about it I started crying again, Embry stroked my wet hair, and calmed me down.

“I ran off because I don’t deserve you guys, I don’t even know who my real parents are, but I do know I love you guys,” I smiled a weak smile.