It's a 1 part story

"We should spend the night in one of the hotels here"

"No it shall pass"

Though my attitude toward the situation is very casual; the incessant rain is getting me nervous a little. I too need a break as its been six hours that I am controlling the wheels. The Toyota engine is powerful but I know that the car also needs to cool down a bit.

For another couple of miles or so I didn't bother to stop. The rain thickened. I felt blind. Beyond the windshield the rain seems to have become solid.

A hundred things crossed my mind. I cannot drive anymore; my car needs rest; we need rest. I decided to stop at the nearest hotel. But my luck. We seem to have passed the city limits.

She is very easily terrified and her face also shows that. I am trying to keep my face as emotion-less as my father-in-law.

As the rain is driving me crazy I pulled the car to a halt. "We shall spend the night here," I said.

"I told you before to stop but no, you didn't. And now we are spending in this nasty inn," she said haughtily.

"We will manage."

"Hmm"

I parked the car and entered the hotel. The hotel seems empty. The security is fast asleep on the visitors' couch. I gently nudged him and he got alert. I asked him for a room. He smiled and registered me. He handed me a key to room no. 201.

"Is the lift working?"

"Ji Sahab"

We are entering the lift and he again called us.

"Sahab.."

I turn around and raised my eyebrows.

"Sahab, galti ho gayi hai, aap log yeh wala karma le lijiye"

"201 me kya kharabi hai? Aise galti kaise hoti hai?"

"Pleaz sahib..."

His eyes are saying something more than just plead. I considered and decided to take the new room.

The room is not much but comfortable as the hotel name suggests.

"I think they are overcharging us"

"Oho, you got a place to sleep now atleast. Now don't complain"

I considered this. I crept into the fairly good bed. I twitched my nose at the stink but did not say anything.

"Are you asleep?"

"No"

"Are you angry with me? I am sorry I dragged you out"

"No no, I quite liked the fact that you dragged me out. But I never imagined us being trapped in stinky hotel"

I opened my mouth but closed it unable to find words. Arrange marriages are so difficult. Our two-month marriage made us just talk freely to each other. We both are shy.

"I was wondering why a small hotel such as this have double doors? Have you noticed?"

"Hmm"

She is sleepy, let her sleep, I thought.

I am awake for a long time now. Sleep is just ignoring me tonight. I heard something. I look around. And check on Diya.

I wonder where the noise came from. I get up to light a cigarette and prop open my favourite psycho thriller, the copy of which I always keep with me. After few puff, I cannot keep my eyes open. I throw the cigarette and gone to bed. I drifted off to sleep.

A loud cry of help and thumping on our door made both of us jump.

"Ahhh"

"Don't panick. I am here."

"Don't open the door"

"Let me check atleast"

"No"

The finality of her voice get on to me and I just couldn't move.

Suddenly the phone rang breaking the silence.

After the third ring I pick up the receiver.

"Hello!"

"Sahabji aap dono theek ho na?"

"Haan, par woh kaun thi jo cheekh rahi thi itni zor se?"

"Ji... koi nahi. Aap ke kamre se cheekhne ki awaj ayi to pooch raha hu... Warna to koi nahi cheekha"

"Barish bandh ho gayi hai kya?"

"Sahab... teen dino se yahan koi barish nahi hua hai.."

"Kya bakwaas kar rahe ho? Baarish ki wajah se hi hum yahan thaire hai"

I hung up the phone and parted the curtains. There are no trace of any rain.

"How is this possible.. we were driving through the rain isn't it Di...DIYA what happened"

She is unconscious. I cursed myself. I dropped to my knees trying to wake her up. I picked up the phone and called the reception. The security man did not pick up the phone. Both our phones' battery got washed.

I pick her up in my arms and went straight for my car. I rested her on the front seat and went inside the hotel. The security was nowhere to be found. I put the key and the cash on the counter. The glass top reflected a reddish glow, the colour I could not see in any part of the reception area.

I bend closer to have a look. The corpse of the security was lying there.

Being a doctor I could tell the corpse was at least three days old. I run for my car and drove off to Diya's parents. I narrated the whole story to them but they did not believe me. They even denied that such a hotel exists.

I was surprised to hear that Diya also denied what I just said to her.

xxxxx