On Our Way

I don't think I've ever felt more awkward hugging my best friend. It'd been two years since I'd last seen him and although we'd always message one another, he felt like a stranger in my arms.

"It's good to finally see you, Dawn." He smiled that soft, familiar smile that had began to fade from my memory.

"You too, Hugh."
"Shall we go then?"

"Yeah sure," I said as Hugh linked his arm with mine, a gesture I hadn't experienced in the years I'd been separated from him.

Taking his bags from Hugh, my dad smiled without a proper greeting and I shot him a look that I'd probably regret later.

Ever since I'd brought up the idea of Hugh coming along with us on this trip, they'd been extra cautious on the subject, careful not to say his name. All of this for some strange reason I didn't understand.

But knowing I was about to see Hugh was enough for me to forget my parents uneasiness.

"So, anything exciting to tell me?" Hugh asked, returning to his playful self from years ago as he nudged my shoulder.

"There's an ice cream shop right next to our hotel," I said.

"Um, great?" Hugh's twisted and confused expression reminded me of all the times I tried to talk to him about things you'd usually only share with a girl friend.

Holding back my laughter, I yelled in his face, "AND THEY HAVE MINT AND COOKIE TWIST!"

"What?! No way!" I'd finally got Hugh completely back to his old self and for that, I eventually came to the thought that maybe, this vacation wouldn't be as awkward as I'd thought.

After we'd finally stopped laughing, we hopped into the car with Hugh on my right and Casey, my older sister, on my left. The car trip was to be a full twelve hours, and as a seventeen year old, I found that extremely tiresome and boring.

Instead of staying awake with Hugh for the whole time, I unintentionally fell asleep on his shoulder, just after passing the state border.

••••

Thanks again for reading! I really appreciate it :)

I know this chapter was really short but its just kicking off and I have to develop the setting first. Don't worry, everything is going to unwind soon.

Please vote and comment to let me know whether you like it so far!

Desi <3