Two Halves of one Whole (Marichat)

Summary: Adrien is feeling very alone in his own house one night and decides to pay Marinette a visit as Chat Noir. He isn't sure why, but he knows seeing Marinette will cheer him up.
______________________________________

Marinette sat at her computer desk, mindlessly skimming through the Ladyblog out of usual curiosity. All Alya had posted that day was an article about the origin of how the ladybug first got its name.
"Anything good today?" Tikki asked curiously.
"No. Nothing new" Marinette sighed as she swiveled around in her chair to face the small kwami. The two exchanged a friendly smile as Marinette got up to change into her usual night clothes.
"I left some cookies in a bowl on the table over there if you want a bed time snack" Marinette said, pointing to her bedside table. Tikki happily thanked her for the treats and flew over to snack on them while Marinette began undoing her pigtails. She began to brush her hair out, but paused after hearing a light unexpected knock on the door that led to her balcony.

* * *

(Earlier that night)

Adrien sat on the edge of his bed staring into the palms of his hands. He couldn't get to sleep. His father was away on business and the house felt so empty and cold. He knew he had to get out... at least for a little while. Adrien turned to face a sleeping Plagg and gently woke him.
"Plagg wake up. I gotta transform."
The small kwami peered up at him and rolled over with a groan.
"What for? There's no akuma tonight, and you don't have patrol plans either. Why can't you just let me sl..." Plagg began to protest, but stopped when he saw his holder's face. Adrien had never looked so tense. His arms were crossed in front of him to wrap around his own waist in an attempt to confort himself. He felt his whole body begin to fold in on it's self as tears built up behind his eyes.
"I have to go. Just for a few hours. Please Plagg! I just... need to talk to... someone."
He didn't know why, but Adrien wanted so badly to go visit his friend Marinette. She was always so welcoming and comfortable around him when he was Chat and he hoped she'd at least let him stay and talk for a few minutes. Maybe she'd even offer him a pastry from her parents' bakery!
Plagg nodded and agreed that some time out of that cold, dark room was probably best for Adrien.
"Plagg, Claws Out!" Adrien exclaimed before he was engolfed in green light. He felt his body cover itself in a leather suit as he changed into Chat Noir. He took a deep breath before jumping out of his window and running along the roof tops to Marinette's balcony. He hoped she was still awake, and that he could find a way to get her to agree to let him stay without sounding too strange.

* * *
(Present time)

Marinette climbed up the steps to the door to her balcony and slowly opened it to reveal a young blonde boy plad in dark leather. She quickly recognized the green eyes glowing back at her through a familiar black mask.
"Chat Noir!? To what do I owe such a pleasure?" Marinette teased as she stepped up through the door to stand next to Chat. She watched curiously as he nervously scratched the back of his neck. 'How do I explain this?' Adrien thought to himself.
"Well, you see there was no one home at my house tonight. I was simply feeling lonely is all and thought a little human interaction might do me some good," he said trying to force a friendly smile.
Marinette felt a little confused. Even if Chat was lonely, why would he come to her of all people? It's not like he knew she was ladybug. Was this just some way for him to entertain himself? And at 10 o'clock at night of all times. She was about to protest and tell him to go home and get some rest when she noticed something. His cat ears were drooping a little bit on top of his head and he wasn't smiling his usual smile. His shoulders were shaking, and his eyes looked so tense. It was as if they were silently begging her to let him stay with her for even just a moment longer. She sighed and turned to gesture towards her door.
"Well since the brave and powerful Chat Noir has come to visit me, who am I to turn him away?"
He looked so stunned in that moment she found it hard not to laugh out loud at his expression. Marinette watched as his smile grew warmer and his eyes glistened back at her.
"Thankyou Marinette. I promise I won't keep you up too late."
They both sat down on the edge of her bed and talked for a while. Marinette listened as Chat told her various stories she already knew of his adventures with ladybug. After about ten minutes or so, Marinette's curiosity took over and she cut into his story about the time he had saved her from Timechaser.
"Hey Chat... just out of curiousity... why did you come visit me...of all people?"
Adrien tensed up again. He had no idea why he had chosen her. It just... felt... right. She was so comforting and nice to him all the time that he just generally enjoyed her presence. But how was he supposed to tell her that!? 'Okay Adrien,' he thought to himself. 'Don't say anything weird, and you'll get through this.'
"Well to be honest...I don't really know. I mean you seem like a really nice person and I guess I just naturally feel comfortable around you." He said confidently. She didn't seem freaked out or surprised by his answer. Instead Marinette appeared as though she were deep in thought.
"Naturally comfortable around me, huh?" She asked and then smiled back at him.
"In that case you're welcome to stay the night if you feel safer here than your own home. I have a spare couch over there... or... if you want I guess it's alright for us to just share the bed. I mean it's more confortable, and I'm sure I can trust the hero of Paris to keep his paws to himself ?" She said with a small joking hint of question at the last part. Adrien couldn't believe his ears. He smiled back at her and assured her she could trust him. Her bed was so much warmer than his own, and he took a moment to silently admire her large cat pillow.
"Goodnight Marinette. I probably won't be here when you wake up so thank you so much for your hospitality. Really... it means a lot." Marinette nodded, a little stunned. She'd never seen Chat look so vulnerable.
"Goodnight Chat."
She watched as he fell into a deep sleep almost instantly beside her. 'He must have really been tired' she thought to herself. Tikki silently came out from hiding and flew over to hover in front of Marinette's face.
"Tikki...could it be...a miraculous thing? You know... him feeling 'naturally comfortable' around me?"
Tikki thought it over for a moment and said with a smile
"it would make sense. Your Miraculous and his are two halves of one whole, so in order for Ladybug and Chat Noir to work together the two miraculous holders must be compatible with eachother. Because of this compatibility, it would make sense for him to feel confortable around you as Marinette even if he barely knows you in this form."
Marinette smiled at Tikki and turned to look at her sleeping partner. He looked so peaceful sleeping next to her like that.
"That makes sense. Goodnight Tikki," she whispered to the small kwami before lying down next to her partner.
"Goodnight Marinette, Tikki whispered back."
Marinette closed her eyes and slowly drifted off to sleep as she listened to Chat's steady breathing in sync with her own. Whether romantically or platonically, there was no doubt in her mind that she and her partner were definitely two halves of one whole.