January (1)

January 2017
( part one ; january 1-15 )

Regina spent her New Year's Day mostly alone. Henry spent the day with his friend, doing who knows what, and Regina hadn't made any plans. She ended up deciding to watch Supergirl while grading the last of the papers she needed to grade over winter break.

She picked up Henry before supper time, and since most of their go-to restaurants were closed for New Year's, Regina put a pizza in the oven per Henry's request. Regina didn't care much for frozen pizza, but Henry loved it, so she'd grown used to it over the years.

As they waited for the timer to go off, signalling their dinner was ready, Henry told Regina all about what he and Nicolas had done to celebrate the New Year. Nicolas's twin sister, Ava, was at another friend's house, so it was just Henry, Nicolas, and Nicolas's dad. According to Henry, Nicolas said that Ava's friend - Grace - said a new girl would be attending their school after winter break.

After dinner, Henry and Regina watched a few episodes of Stranger Things before Henry made his way to his room to read until he fell asleep. Regina went to bed as well, and allowed her mind to wander, hoping that would somehow lull her to sleep.

Instead, she found herself thinking about Robin and the Cassidys' New Year's party. His striking blue eyes and his annoying smirk. Regina turned on her side and tried to clear her thoughts. The last thing she needed on her mind was Robin, or any guy for that matter.

( ~ )

Because of Christmas falling on a Sunday, school had let out for break on a Wednesday and returned on a Thursday. Henry wasn't too thrilled about having to go back to school before the other school systems in the area, but there wasn't anything Regina could do about that, so she coaxed him out of bed on the first day back at school by making chocolate chip pancakes - Henry's favorite.

As much as Henry didn't want to go back to school, he also didn't want to cause his mother to be late on the first day back, so he reluctantly got ready. They made it to school on time (on time for Regina, at least). It was a good thing because the principal, Mr. Midas, called Regina and Mary Margaret in for a meeting a few minutes after Regina arrived.

"Mrs. Nolan and Ms. Mills, thank you for coming. Over the break, I have been notified that a man going to college for elementary education has recently moved to the area and needs somewhere to do his student teaching. I was wondering if you would allow him to student teach in your classrooms? He would be in Ms. Mills' for six weeks, and then Mrs. Nolan's for eight weeks."

"Yes, of course that would be okay!" Mary Margaret exclaimed. The last time she had a student teacher - a Middle Eastern woman named Jasmine - the two had become friends almost immediately and they still were. Midas turned to Regina for her answer.

Regina nodded. "I would be okay with that."

Midas smiled. "Wonderful. He'll start next Monday, and will be here after school tomorrow so you can both meet him."

After school the next day, Regina and Mary Margaret walked down to the office together so they could meet the student teacher that would be spending fourteen weeks in their classrooms. They were talking in hushed voices until Regina looked up and saw who the student teacher was.

"Robin?"

"Regina," Robin offered her a smile. "I didn't know you were an elementary school teacher."

"I didn't know you were going to school to be an elementary school teacher."

"I take it you two have already met?" Midas asked as he emerged from his office. "I expect that will make this easier for you to work together."